The new family farm and home in the city had lavender orpingtons for 9.99 last saturday! I wish I had gotten a picture to show y'all.
I think I'm going to look for full plume as well. My girls are doing great on the layer feed but if it's available I'm tempted to switch. We have an amish store near here too that I should look at as well. I am a big fan of the Kalmbach foods though.
View attachment 3785843
View attachment 3785844
View attachment 3785845
View attachment 3785846
The Kalmbach Full Plume is a layer feed - just with more protein than the regular layer feed.
I just switched to it.

At the closest farm store today to pick up the Kalmbach Full Plume feed to try, and some shavings. They just started carrying Kalmbach. I'd hardly ever been in their store before - we went there last week for seeds - so I looked around, also looked for hardware for the aviary netting attachment project. It's an Agway/ True Value store.

Light Brahma
View attachment 3785791
View attachment 3785792

Easter Eggers
View attachment 3785794
This one looked at me and I was ready to take her home.
View attachment 3785795

Olive Eggers
View attachment 3785797

Also there were Wyandottes and Barred Rocks!
I've not seen this tray-type system before. Heat is not from lamps. They keep raising the feeder slot height for the chicks as they grow, and also most trays had regular egg-carton-style chick feeders inside too. Different from the Tractor Supply farm bins and heat lamps. Also different was that they are advertising pullets, not straight-run, our TSC mostly has only straight-run.
Good reporting! So, where are the photos of your new Easter egger w the beckoning eyes 😍 I mean surely you couldn’t say no- look at that awesome patterning!

And what was your limiting factor on flock size again? The size of your coop, or just wanting to keep it small?

My favorite Guinea hen is at the emergency vet. She is exhibiting the same symptoms of the three that I lost last year. Frost, the one who died in my arms, is her daughter. Ridges has always been my favorite Guinea, and she always will. She pooped on the vet, and it looked kinda like coccidiosis, so we have to hope it is.
My dad told Mom and I to do something together because no one else is home, so we are just following his instructions 😉 he is going to be furious when he finds out, because this is going to be over $100.
I paid 140 to fix a prolapse vent on lety's bantam. Sometimes dads act hard but have a soft heart. I would pay any amount for my babies, fur or feather.

Wow and $4 - chicks here are $11, I think I will take a drive down to Peavey on 30th April after work, and see what they get in, you know just be nosy 😊
Ah yes, what a wonderful day to swing by the ole Peavey mart. 😁
Does yours participate in Chick days, where you pre order chicks to have brought in? Or they have their own schedule and you show up?

I don’t know much about it and haven’t had time to research it. Hopefully tomorrow. But the discharge, it’s supposed to have an odor…maybe you’re catching it very early?
Feathers- I don’t know either, if with disease they would grow back, for some reason I think they could. With injuries they can, so maybe?
That’s true, feathers do attempt to grow back after an injury. I’ll report what happens here if I notice any growth after this bout.
Yea I’m pretty sure I’m catching whatever it was early.

It was a windy end to Fluffy Butt Friday.
IMG_5688.jpeg

That’s true, feathers do attempt to grow back after an injury. I’ll report what happens here if I notice any growth after this bout.
Yea I’m pretty sure I’m catching whatever it was early.
You know you can change your caption after your name, right?

Crowing is what it is now, everyone helped me change mine to ‘Professional Chicken Wrangler’

Maybe we all need to give BB some suggestions.

How about something like ‘Chicken Mama’

I paid 140 to fix a prolapse vent on lety's bantam. Sometimes dads act hard but have a soft heart. I would pay any amount for my babies, fur or feather.
Yep - I have a $500 chicken who doesn’t lay eggs apparently.
🤨

You guys Vets are way less expensive than here! ❤️

Ah yes, what a wonderful day to swing by the ole Peavey mart. 😁
Does yours participate in Chick days, where you pre order chicks to have brought in? Or they have their own schedule and you show up?
Yes we have Chick Days - a hang over from when they were TSC.

Chicks can be preordered and they are bought up from Hoovers, and Peavey also orders in extras to sell first come first serve. Which is a novel concept for here. Other feed stores do not do that. They will order in chicks from Freys Hatchery here in Ontario and that is Wednesday’s - those feed stores don’t bring in extras to sell.

Getting chicks from Hoovers is different esp since one needs a special license and certification to bring live poultry cross border.

But Peavey Mart is a national retailer so they likely get a license to cover the whole country seeing as how they are purchasing from a single source. I tried to ask them to source from McMurray but they wouldn’t even look into it. I feel like they had Hoovers as their vendor when they were TSC and just kept them.

I don’t recall if they had chick days when TSC was there.

Back
Top Bottom