Thyroxine and shell quality... Not having a lot of luck other than that one little quote. That source also doesn't say HOW much to give, though another study I read used 0.3 gms. But they weren't testing for shell quality.
:idunno

One good thing... Thyroxine seems to be easy to get.

https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/thyro-tabs-canine-levothyroxine-sodium

"Levothyroxine ... can also be used to treat hypothyroidism in birds and tortoises....
"Levothyroxine is a synthetic form of a naturally occurring thyroid hormone called thyroxine."

Well. That was fun. Don't know if it will lead me anywhere. If it does, I'll let you know.
I don't know how the thyroid functions in chickens, but I know about humans. I have taken Levothyroxine since I was about 12. My thyroid is about half the size of a normal one and produces almost nothing. That dose (.3 gm) is insanely high, I take anywhere from .125-.2mg. In humans thyroid imbalance can cause issues with everything from weight, temperature, reproductive changes, digestive and heart. I would not be at all surprised if a thyroid imbalance caused reproductive issues in chickens too.

Oh. My. Gosh!

How did you resist 😊 I would go broke there - and I would have needed a bigger barn! They are just so darn adorable.

That’s an awesome setup they have, but I would worry about people being able to touch them, and I would worry about bio security.

Here at Peavey Mart they only offer Pullets, no straight run (oh except for the bantams they offer to order).
They have employees set up at desks throughout the store, and one guy is sitting in view of the chicks just down the aisle.

Ridges is doing okay. She is very talkative, which is a good sign since her sister, daughter and niece who died last year were very quiet when they were ill. She is eating and drinking, and is making a mess of her cage because she is trying to get out. Her poops from yesterday and this morning are still very bad, but I was giving her fresh food and I noted that when she pooped, it was looking a bit better. You can see that she spilled her food. I’m going to clean out her cage in a little bit. View attachment 3786243
Nice, glad to hear it may be a quick recovery :fl When my pullets had coccidiosis a couple of years back it was a nearly instant recovery once they got on Corid.

It is officially chicken spring here, Rosie starting laying this week. Sadly I broke the first one in my pocket while cleaning the coop 😜
Rosie laying also means the other two are up to their escapist tricks.
20240330_085642~2.jpg

Rosie on our side of the fence scolding/tattling
20240330_085728~2.jpg

It is officially chicken spring here, Rosie starting laying this week. Sadly I broke the first one in my pocket while cleaning the coop 😜
Rosie laying also means the other two are up to their escapist tricks.
View attachment 3786338
Rosie on our side of the fence scolding/tattling
View attachment 3786341
Ewwww! Mine I usually let slip through my fingers onto the floor - ooops!

Back
Top Bottom