When I've broken Widget, I had her in the crate for 2 days and nights. On the 3rd night, I let her out. If she went back to the nest, I put her screaming broody butt back into the crate. If she went to roost, she was done and fine.

Invite your neighbors over for cocktails! What's the problem?
:lau
😳😳😳

:gig :gig:gig

(Darn autocorrect)

Awwwww poor Tassels and poor you! Don’t let her loose she’ll come for you haha.

Give it 48 hrs and then see what goes on. Worse thing and she won’t stop, your help will Just have to haul her fluffy butt off the nest at least once a day to poop and try for a drink and food.

We have all been there, sometimes they just have to go the course.

Tippy has been BUK BUK BUKing and I noticed she has plucked her chest - bad Tippy! And Twister has a bald chest and belly…. I am hoping the Silkies dont go broody - I got three silkie eggs today! Yay! Someone else is laying.
I am thinking if she is still broody when I leave that my chicken helper can keep her in the cage another 24 hours and then try again. I think she will be OK with the haul off the nest thing - but that will still means Tassels spends most of her time on the nest. At least in the cage she can eat and stretch a leg.
She seems to be spending most of her time preening. I don’t know if that indicates anything.

I am thinking if she is still broody when I leave that my chicken helper can keep her in the cage another 24 hours and then try again. I think she will be OK with the haul off the nest thing - but that will still means Tassels spends most of her time on the nest. At least in the cage she can eat and stretch a leg.
She seems to be spending most of her time preening. I don’t know if that indicates anything.
She's probably bored. Bored and wants those eggs.

She's not eating?

My sister ended up having to force feed Agathae. Not sure if that's the best idea, and I'd try everything else before that, but Agathae was pretty much fasting because she wanted to hatch chicks so badly.
She wasn’t eating, drinking or bathing.
I was worried to leave her while I was away. My chicken sitter can haul her off the nest but wouldn’t be able to make her eat.
She has been eating strawberries since I put her in the crate.

Here she is poor girl. At least she is within sight and sound of the rest of the flock. The Pentagonists came to visit her often during the day. I thought they might be trying to figure how to give her eggs!

1713230307906.jpeg

Silly question, but how will I know?
Be strong, you are doing this for the good of Tassels. Now is not the time for chicks for her so this is for her best interest. I have not resorted to using the crate for broody breaking, yet. That said I have looked it up and frankly Goose is about to be tossed into one. First is location of the crate. You want it in a bright high traffic noisy spot. Broodies want dark seclusion. Next get a old feed sack and place it under the crate. If she is broody she will have only one or two nasty broody poops a day. You are looking for her to start pooping normally and frequently. You also want her eating and drinking normally. This may take a couple days. Also once you let her out watch her and do not trust her. She may run right back to her nest. If she does, and makes herself comfortable for a hour or so, she is not broke and back to the crate she goes. She may actually take close to a week to be broken up, she has been allowed to sit for a bit.

She wasn’t eating, drinking or bathing.
I was worried to leave her while I was away. My chicken sitter can haul her off the nest but wouldn’t be able to make her eat.
She has been eating strawberries since I put her in the crate.

Here she is poor girl. At least she is within sight and sound of the rest of the flock. The Pentagonists came to visit her often during the day. I thought they might be trying to figure how to give her eggs!

View attachment 3802502
Sounds like Agathae Syndrome. Bird didn't want to touch food or water and would just go straight to the nest if I took her out of it. Make sure you check for any bottles of Batty Ol' Hens Broody Tincture. In all seriousness, I hope she snaps out of it.

For your viewing pleasure, a bunch of presumed cockerels 😖. I’d love to hear you all say “No no, those are definitely all pullets. Especially Mina”.

View attachment 3801795
BCM 1. Largest! And boldest.

View attachment 3801796
BCM 2. Sure, smallish comb, but wattles and still no tail. They are the most skittish.

View attachment 3801797
OE 1. I had always assumed boy for this lad since he has a cute brown stripe on one side of his head as a wee fluff ball. :confused:

View attachment 3801798
OE 2. Oh Mina why do you have such a large comb at barely four weeks! What do you all think of this one?

View attachment 3801799
OE 3: Bananas. Comb large but not pink, wattles present but not huge… I still hold out hope for this one.

View attachment 3801800
A wee baby. Sweet little thing who fell asleep face down in the grass a few times today 🥰
3 weeks old right?
To be honest, I am iffy on both Marans. You see wattles, I do not see what I expect to see for 3 week old cockerel Marans. Combs, those could also be pullet combs. I am not comfortable saying pullet or cockerel yet on either of them.

Back
Top Bottom