Since a lot of you seemed to have like the throwback I did last week with "Careless Whisper", I decided to do it again. This song should NEVER be played loudly inside my house. Old Woman will sing the same lyric over and over for hours on end and it's not something I enjoy. I do listen to this song, however, I always do it in low volume.
"I like to move it, move it
I like to move it, move it
Yeah, I like to move it!"
View attachment 3804571
Why aren't you moving? Not even music like this can make Grandma move it, move it.
Oh yep now I have that song in my head and I am singing it - thanks 😆

Hi Grandma you’re looking wonderful.

I am systematically trying to introduce my tribe to the new chicks. They stay in the brooder and peep peep peep. A one at a time my hens get to listen to them. No sight of them yet, but next week they will be getting a peek at them.
Frustrating as it is, I haven’t been able to get the temperature right for the littles. :barnie
How old are they now? A week? They should be out and about running around making trouble soon.

What are you using for heat?

Since a lot of you seemed to have like the throwback I did last week with "Careless Whisper", I decided to do it again. This song should NEVER be played loudly inside my house. Old Woman will sing the same lyric over and over for hours on end and it's not something I enjoy. I do listen to this song, however, I always do it in low volume.
"I like to move it, move it
Yeah, I like to move it!"
View attachment 3804571
Why aren't you moving? Not even music like this can make Grandma move it, move it.

:bun

Regulating this brooder heat is not an easy task. Optimum temperature is 93f for first weeks of life.
Temps are a guideline, I found my chicks would spend a lot of time just running around eating and investigating rather than under the brooder plate.

By 1 week old they should be hopping up on things in their home, by 2 weeks I have them flying up on top of the waterer and feeders, and the brooder plate top. And remember last year at two weeks I had mine running around in the barn when I was doing chores to keep an eye on them - they rarely went under the brooder plate I put out for them.

By three weeks they are little escape artists and were integrated with the flock. I have found that as long as they had a place to run and hide under and warm up under if they needed, they were fine.

What are you keeping those chicklets in - I used my extra water tub the horses werent using.

That seems super warm. I hope you find a good solution for the temperature situation at TSC tomorrow!

Mine are currently in a 55f degree garage and the 1 week old is pleased as punch. She has a heating pad to warm up on (at this point I have it laying on the ground so that they all have access to it, regardless of size) which she does for just a quick warm up and then dashes off to play. I’ve never had a broody raise chicks before, but I imagine the mechanics are the same. Quick (several minute) warmup and then escape from the heat source.

View attachment 3804484
Look at this cheeky thing. I went to check on them this evening and she was roosting up on the big kid bar.
It doesn’t take them long to become escape artists!

I have raised both broody and myself - I find that they don’t spend a lot of time under mama or the plate during the day - they run under warm up them run back out - yes definitely cheeky!

Speaking of moving it - I need to get cracking and get to work!

A thirsty Thursday to start the day have a great day everyone!

Marty
1BFCF67B-20E5-4471-A649-400A4BA88379.jpeg

Buttercup
73AB8F2A-A82B-4768-A88E-3BE1877F143C.jpeg

Oh yep now I have that song in my head and I am singing it - thanks 😆

Hi Grandma you’re looking wonderful.
Oi, Pony. Is there any song you DON'T know?
As a kid, I had no idea what the man was saying. All I could understand was "I like to move it, move it."

Tassels gave in to temptation.
She spent 7 glorious hours yesterday bathing and foraging and digging up grass in the field.
She ate a lot (thank goodness) and apart from a few curses she chatted amiably to her friends.
Just before dusk, as everyone was trooping in to roost, she gave a blood-curdling scream and hurtled back to her nest.
:barnie

I am now on my way to the airport.
Tassels is back in jail.
I will text back and forth with the lady who will care for the animals. I am thinking next trial release date is Friday.

Tax: Tassels teaching the others how to go broody while on day release.

IMG_6090.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom