Amazing how they interact with each other. Even violently! My tribe has had its share of squabbles and fights, but not to that extent. :eek: My “Rockettes” know each one’s place in the order. The Queen used to be The Beethov-Hen, but order was passed on to her sister, The beautiful Hen-Rietta, who rules with a soft but firm touch.
It’s a lot of drama but I find it amazing! :old
That was really something to watch. They went at it 3 times over 3 hours if I'm remembering the timeframe correctly.

@notabitail what do you know about 3d printers? Hubby brought home one today, never used for $20
20240419_160843.jpg

Broody update: trashing the place.
20240419_170511.jpg
I will be kicking them back outside in a few minutes.

Ok the broody jail is ready. Do I put both of them in there? Since Morinth was lonely in the bathroom? Or try just Morinth in the box first
I am doing this for the first time, but my instinct is just Morinth.
Tassels got visitors in jail. Both Piglet and Calypso stopped by regularly.
Tassels is out on day release again. Any minute now will be the moment of truth!
1713546445522.jpeg

A Transition

Now that we have given Lilly her due, it is time to transition to a new leader. Nature does not give us time to mourn, we must move on quickly for the good of the tribe.

To say she is fierce is an understatement. The current leader of the tribe fought her way to the top. In fact, I have video evidence of how she battled her way to the position.

The video below is of an extended competition between Aurora and Hattie for number 2 in the tribe behind Lilly. In this instance Hattie wins. The day this took place there were 3 such confrontations. I only caught the third and final one on video.

Watch how Lilly tries to intervene early and then puts the final stamp on Aurora after Aurora has conceded to Hattie. Even Sansa had a thought about becoming involved and then wisely stayed out of it.

At some point, unobserved by me, Aurora would work her way past Hattie but on this day Hattie held on to her position.

I remember this from when it first happened and had to prepare myself to watch it. Quite a set to - and I love how Phyllis rushes to watch but only after it is all over.
I didn’t realize they had gone at it multiple times. Wow.
This but the way is what Tassels and Sylvie were doing when I took Tassels off the nest.
They are complicated creatures, but I feel with this one I understand what was going on and who was playing what role.
Thanks for sharing again. Very instructive!

@notabitail what do you know about 3d printers? Hubby brought home one today, never used for $20
View attachment 3806148

Broody update: trashing the place.
View attachment 3806149
I will be kicking them back outside in a few minutes.
$20? Smelly cow! Where'd he find such a good bargain?

I don't know much about them. I looked into one (the same brand as that one), but for the $20 you paid that would be well worth your money.

It seems that a regular 40W light bulb is sufficient for keeping the temperature of the brooder at 90f
Brooding box- Walmart 18x34x19 tote bin.
Heat lamp and frame- TSC
Chick starter feed- Evan’s tack and feed
Occupants- Both Porterville feed, and Evan’s T&F
Pine shavings- TSC
Sedatives and high blood pressure medication for the stress of chick 🐣 management- Sequoia Health and Wellness Center Visalia ca!
:barnie :lau
The rent a coop brooder plate I use is basically a 40W lightbulb encased in a metal box. It is more than enough!

I don’t know what to tell you, my problem with ordering online is delivery. I will look into that today maybe to a store in town. They can’t deliver to my house because of theft (my house is #A in a whole block of houses from #A to #V all with the same address. That’s why I have a POBOX (who rarely accepts packages)
The Post Office is required to accept packages if correctly addressed to your PO Box. They can complain (mine does). They can give you a hard time for not collecting them fast enough (mine does that too). But I believe they cannot legally not accept a properly addressed package for you.
You can also rent a UPS box which has the advantage of having an address that looks like a street address for all those times when you can’t use a PO Box address and also longer opening hours. It is also more expensive. I haven’t done it yet but I keep thinking about it because I have delivery issues.
With Amazon when you go to check out look carefully on the page where you confirm your address and there is usually an option to pick up from a place near you. If you look at the options there are usually several. Most of mine are grocery stores in town.
Hope that helps.

Edited to add. I have used the pick up option from Amazon in another country when I was traveling. It worked well. I went to a tiny bodega and the guy had a storage room behind the counter and just went and got me my package.

Honestly, I’m afraid of that brooder heater now. 11:30 pm I heard one of the tiny ones screaming herself to death. I awoke from a sound sleep to find my little gold and black one soaking wet and ice cold. The heater wasn’t warming up so I reset it. I had to use Jaffar’s blow dryer to get her dry again and she calmed down. She’s got some powerful lungs to be loud enough to wake me up! I think I will try to return the heater to TSC tomorrow. It’s unreliable in my opinion. The little lady thinks so too! Poor little thing.
Buy a national brand like Brinsea, get it next day from Chewy.

A Transition

Now that we have given Lilly her due, it is time to transition to a new leader. Nature does not give us time to mourn, we must move on quickly for the good of the tribe.

To say she is fierce is an understatement. The current leader of the tribe fought her way to the top. In fact, I have video evidence of how she battled her way to the position.

The video below is of an extended competition between Aurora and Hattie for number 2 in the tribe behind Lilly. In this instance Hattie wins. The day this took place there were 3 such confrontations. I only caught the third and final one on video.

Watch how Lilly tries to intervene early and then puts the final stamp on Aurora after Aurora has conceded to Hattie. Even Sansa had a thought about becoming involved and then wisely stayed out of it.

At some point, unobserved by me, Aurora would work her way past Hattie but on this day Hattie held on to her position.

I've never seen hens fight that long. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom