Here's Josey again!
PXL_20240417_012627931.jpg

The broodies taking over the porch nest boxes and us moving the hay pile shook up the girls. Drop in egg production. I knew to count out 3, but that still left Owly, the 2 barred rocks and squirrel whos eggs I could not find. Yesterday we took off some junk, that allowed me to look under some things without being in fear of getting bit in the face by a snake. First place I looked was under the building, bingo there it is. Busted owly, 16 eggs, 11 of them hers. 5 of them were one of the rocks eggs. Still more eggs to be accounted for though so I kept looking. I am about ready to give up when my light catches something. We had the wheelbarrow used for a planter last year upturned on extra bags of potting soil. Move it and again bingo. 19 eggs. All Squirrels, the other rocks and looks like Raven is also back to laying. Sneaky sneaky girls. I am so thankful the 3 broodies who are desperate for eggs did not find those nests. They would have disappeared and came back with chicks. Guess whos eggs I did NOT find, Poppets. If I was to find a hidden nest I was soo hoping to find silkies eggs but no luck. Poppet, your killing me. The eggs were dirty and while technically they would still be good, I tossed them in the creek. At least now I know where to look from here out.

The broodies taking over the porch nest boxes and us moving the hay pile shook up the girls. Drop in egg production. I knew to count out 3, but that still left Owly, the 2 barred rocks and squirrel whos eggs I could not find. Yesterday we took off some junk, that allowed me to look under some things without being in fear of getting bit in the face by a snake. First place I looked was under the building, bingo there it is. Busted owly, 16 eggs, 11 of them hers. 5 of them were one of the rocks eggs. Still more eggs to be accounted for though so I kept looking. I am about ready to give up when my light catches something. We had the wheelbarrow used for a planter last year upturned on extra bags of potting soil. Move it and again bingo. 19 eggs. All Squirrels, the other rocks and looks like Raven is also back to laying. Sneaky sneaky girls. I am so thankful the 3 broodies who are desperate for eggs did not find those nests. They would have disappeared and came back with chicks. Guess whos eggs I did NOT find, Poppets. If I was to find a hidden nest I was soo hoping to find silkies eggs but no luck. Poppet, your killing me. The eggs were dirty and while technically they would still be good, I tossed them in the creek. At least now I know where to look from here out.
You didn't consider using them as chicken feed? Scramble those eggs up and recycle.

You didn't consider using them as chicken feed? Scramble those eggs up and recycle.
To be fair I could have, especially with the owly eggs. I do have a deep fear though of stumbling upon a hidden nest though and breaking open a rotten egg. I do not need that smell in the house. Safer to toss them in the creek.

Oh those wonderful Easter egg hunts. Today I only had one bad girl laying under the sheet in the hay stall. It was Babe who lays a lovely terra cotta coloured egg. Caught her red handed 😊

Betty is back to laying in the nest box. 23 eggs today including the silkies eggs. That’s a record for me!

Oh those wonderful Easter egg hunts. Today I only had one bad girl laying under the sheet in the hay stall. It was Babe who lays a lovely terra cotta coloured egg. Caught her red handed 😊

Betty is back to laying in the nest box. 23 eggs today including the silkies eggs. That’s a record for me!
And when one of those hens is a EE it becomes a real Easter Egg hunt. Now that I have them, I want my daily green egg Owly. Mutters to self. "I did not even want blue or green eggs to begin with" I am broken people, broken.

And when one of those hens is a EE it becomes a real Easter Egg hunt. Now that I have them, I want my daily green egg Owly. Mutters to self. "I did not even want blue or green eggs to begin with" I am broken people, broken.
Most of my eggs are blue and green, I am eggcited to see those terra cotta coloured eggs 😊

Back
Top Bottom