Home brew…. 😊
Or hillbilly wine
1000013612.jpg

But then there are the two Black Copper marans. I’m having a whale of a time guessing their gender! I’ve been trying every tried-and-true technique as well as old wive’s tales for guessing.

This particular 6 week old chick, unnamed, has a Pros and Cons list going! Check it out:

Pro cockerel:
View attachment 3808022

-Large! Quite a beefy thing.
-Medium thick legs.
-Hints of copper on the shoulder feathers (could also be “mossiness”?)
-Large comb, wattles.
-Top dog in the brooder.
-Easy to handle, unafraid.

Pro pullet:
View attachment 3808024
-Fast feathering. She’s the bum on the right.
-Comb decidedly doesn’t have much color at six weeks old.
-Sports a pullet stance; she is rarely upright.
View attachment 3808027
:pop :fl
My lay opinion having had both a boy and a girl BCM. My boy had a much larger and redder comb and waddle at this age. It was plain as day and absolutely undeniable. I am leaning pullets.

For comparisons sake:
My chicks arrived August 4th 2022, they were approximately 3 days old at this time.
Oreo (Roo) on the left and Brownie (pullet) on the right taken on August 20th (notice the straighter and thicker comb the difference in the thickness of the legs)
IMG_1031.jpeg

These two pictures were taken at the end of their 5th week with us on Sept 10th at this point the difference was undeniable.
IMG_1033.jpeg

IMG_1032.jpeg

View attachment 3808168I’m still at a loss for knowing what breed of chickens they are. I know the two EE’s but maybe a GLWyandotte and the rest? :idunno
Coloring isn't quite right for the GLW, but.... mugshot? I feel like I should know it from my own breed hunt.

Mugs (more like full body pose, 3/4 angle, individual) may help for each of them)

My lay opinion having had both a boy and a girl BCM. My boy had a much larger and redder comb and waddle at this age. It was plain as day and absolutely undeniable. I am leaning pullets.

For comparisons sake:
My chicks arrived August 4th 2022, they were approximately 3 days old at this time.
Oreo (Roo) on the left and Brownie (pullet) on the right taken on August 20th (notice the straighter and thicker comb the difference in the thickness of the legs)
View attachment 3808169
These two pictures were taken at the end of their 5th week with us on Sept 10th at this point the difference was undeniable.
View attachment 3808171
View attachment 3808170
Oreo's comb is huge!

At evening chores today I looked at my pullets and cockerels. 5 confirmed pullets, seven confirmed cockerels, the rest I'm not sure about. Some of them look like pullets to me but maybe not...?

Thanks rural mouse. I miss yall. This thread is where I go to relax with my like minded friends. Did I post the cardinal nest in our rose bush? I took this pic a day or two before I left home.View attachment 3808185
I have never seen a cardinal nest. That is super cool!

Back
Top Bottom