Ya know, you need a nice little rooster for your ladies, if you were closer (and no stupid border) I would bring you Bert, he is really turning out to be a great guy like his Dada. šŸ’•
I think a rooster would have done exactly what my proxy-rooster (Bernie) did and make himself scarce from the insanity and enjoy the peace of munching on the artemesia in the shade.

Ya know, you need a nice little rooster for your ladies, if you were closer (and no stupid border) I would bring you Bert, he is really turning out to be a great guy like his Dada. šŸ’•
Mr. Pompei needs Bert to help him. Please do not send him away. You need to keep Bert or STOP getting more chickens. You ask too much of Mr Pompei.

Hmmm - lands in Pearson, then on again to Edmonton - a ā€˜milk runā€™ as they call it. Likely no direct flights from Hoovers departure location, to Edmonton.

Wetaskiwin is what 50min to the airport?

Well I sure hope your chickies are doing a bit better today.
I think Wetaskiwin is about an hour away.

The chicks are better today, no losses in the drawer-brooder, and two more died in the box-brooder, with more set to follow. I've lost eighteen chicks already!
Well, I'm getting refunded anyway. Tomorrow I'll pick up 25 Cornishes from someone in Wetaskiwin so that I can have closer to 100 meat chickens. My Cornishes have stopped dying and started getting fatter and feathering out, so they will probably be able to move to the barn tomorrow without too many dying.

Well, Soaking Wet had dumb luck and made the night (while other chicks died in his place) and has now been upgraded to a new name: JarJar.

You may have heard it before... Yep it's after JarJar Binks from Star Wars. He was always bumbling around and getting saved by dumb luck. Same as this guy. Not sure if he'll make it this time, but he sure is funny to watch. I was just watering him using an eyedropper.

It has taken years of hard earned field experience to get to my level of excellence.
I have a PHD in this, I am well adept at ā€˜not seeingā€™ dust bunnies, etc. I thought at one point there was a hairy gerbil in the corner of my room, I smacked it with my slipper till it was unconscious and then noted it was indeed a dust bunnyā€¦. Poor bunny!

I think Wetaskiwin is about an hour away.

The chicks are better today, no losses in the drawer-brooder, and two more died in the box-brooder, with more set to follow. I've lost eighteen chicks already!
Well, I'm getting refunded anyway. Tomorrow I'll pick up 25 Cornishes from someone in Wetaskiwin so that I can have closer to 100 meat chickens. My Cornishes have stopped dying and started getting fatter and feathering out, so they will probably be able to move to the barn tomorrow without too many dying.
Hopefully you wonā€™t lose any further.

Mr. Pompei needs Bert to help him. Please do not send him away. You need to keep Bert or STOP getting more chickens. You ask too much of Mr Pompei.
Mr P only has eyes for Blanche and Twister !!! He is fed up with the youngster pullets who have been over grooming him. Last night I laughed at him, Ruth walked over to groom his crest feathers and he jumped back gave her the evil eye, and ran off to join Blanche in foraging for bugs. twister soon joined them and the three of them where happy as clam in the mud; Raven came over and he chased her away!

He doesnā€™t like my BILā€™s hens, he tolerates Larry and sometimes breeds her, ignores Red and Sharpie, and chases Raven away (though I have seen him at least once breeding her), I know Raven would love to be around him! She would love to hang with Mr P!

Bert has his girls, Flopsy, Topsy and Muffy whom he herds and feeds and sleeps with. Oh he will take advantage of the others if they give him a chance but those are his preferred hens.

Same with Teddy- he prefers Marty and Curly, he breeds the other two but he spends most of his time with those two, and they follow him around.

Itā€™s actually quite interesting to see those dynamics. And when I was raising horses my old stallion had his preferred mares, Penny, and Shahreen where his girls, he really didnā€™t like Cerah at all. And I had some mares come in for breeding that he just would not breed! I think he preferred the grey spotty mares, Cerah was a chestnut and he didnā€™t like chestnut mares. This has been anecdotally noted with breeders of horses.

At any rate Bert is proving to be a good boy so far, so he gets to stay.

I think the difference was in the fact that there were no other Roos, with only him as a young dingaling the hens could easily beat the crap out of him. And also I think if there are more than one young Roo they egg each other on and brawl and carouse about. Boys!!

IMG_4294.jpeg Fluffy butt Friday:
Little butts count too!

Back
Top Bottom