I can see where this is going.

"Oh, by the way, I went to Peeve Mart and got these in commemoration of RoyalChick!"
Hey you would have been proud of me! They had the 2 week old chicks that are remaining on half price when I went in yesterday! There were 7 BR left 😊💕

Boohoo! But I am really at capacity. No more chooks for me from Peavey Mart 😟

Hey you would have been proud of me! They had the 2 week old chicks that are remaining on half price when I went in yesterday! There were 7 BR left 😊💕

Mmmhmmm. I'm waiting until I hear "Oh, and Bessie took my money and bought seven barred rocks because why not".

Sylvie is doing well on parole this evening. She has gone up to the roost with everyone and is preening away.
She seems to have dealt with the egg yolk on her feathers herself.
Yay!
It has been raining all day and most of them went out anyway and are sopping wet. So there is a lot of preening.
There are still a couple of hours to dark so I hope Sylvie doesn’t change her mind and go over to the nest boxes.
Meanwhile, Piglet in the nest box is a terror. I will need gloves to collect eggs tomorrow.
I also can’t make sense of the eggs I collected. All I can think is maybe I missed an egg yesterday. Hens don’t lay while broody. Right?
Absolutely no doubt on Piglet being broody (I have the bruised hands to prove it), but I have one too many small blue eggs.
Hmmm.
:idunno

I was pleased to see Piglet got off the nest on her own a few times during the day. Only for 6-8 minutes at a time, but enough to eat (it is Piglet we are talking about after all!), drink, bathe etc.

Tax: Sylvie on the roost just now.
View attachment 3822398
Early in brooding they can still lay eggs. Maleficent laid the first 2 days she was broody.

That makes me sad somehow.

Early in brooding they can still lay eggs. Maleficent laid the first 2 days she was broody.
That is helpful to know. Thanks.
Sylvie seems to have given up and is happily roosting.
I think I will leave Piglet a few days to force a break in her laying. As she is eating I am not as worried about her as I was about Tassels.
The only issue really will be if her insanity causes too much disruption with the others. Unlike Tassels who seemed rather good natured about others piling on top of her in order to lay, I suspect Piglet may be more aggressive (at least judging by her attacks on me!).

That was a great race with thrilling finish. Agonizing while waiting for the photo results. A couple angels it looked like my horse #2 had it. Oh well that is racing. I think Sierra Leone has big things in his future. He is still learning, hopefully he gets out of that habit of lugging in. He and Forever Young were both bumping each other. In truth I was waiting for the stewards inquiry to go up. I guess they chose not to do anything because Forever Young also made contact with Sierra Leone down the stretch. Credit has to go to the jockey, he pulled a Calvin Borel move ducking into the rail and skimming past it to get to the lead. I am happy for the winning connections. I like Kenny McPeek.

I have been doing some reading today and always look forward to the Preakness. I love the triple crown trail and the rivalries that develop. Normally as you know you can at least guarantee the Derby winner shows up with 1 or 2 of the other derby runners. I am disappointed. Mystik Dan is questionable as of right now, final decision to be made May 8. The rest are skipping it. Sierra Leone will run in the Belmont, Forever Young and the other japanese horse T O Password head back to Japan this week. I feel Forever Young should at least stay and target the Belmont. It is to be run at Saratoga this year at a shortened distance of 1 1/4 miles like the derby. Same could be said for T O Password, but again, that is racing. If Mystik Dan skips the Preakness there will not be a single derby starter in the field. McPeeks comments claim he is tired this morning which is why he is not committing yet. I am all for putting the horse first, but I also have a nagging suspicion. Baffert was banned from the derby again this year. If McPeek skips the Preakness I feel, and I think many race fans will too that McPeek is dodging Muth. I have lost a lot of respect for Bob Baffert in the last couple years but he is a dang good trainer. Muth has already trounced Mystik Dan 6 1/4 lengths in the Arkansas Derby. In a way I think if Muth had been eligible to run we would have had a very different outcome this morning.

Ok enough rambling we will have to see what happens. I will say, Belmont time, Sierra Leone is my boy again. I would also like to see him in the Travers later in the summer and of course the Breeders Cup Classic.
The last time I watched the derby was when Eight Bells ran, won, died - I have never watched a race since.

I hate seeing horses running flat out, I had 2 horses die from running injuries, and then after Bells I really went over the edge. If my horses start running I bring them inside. Now they are old and don’t generally run much. But ya I don’t watch racing.

There was a time I would go to the races the first Wednesday of every month to see my friend’s horse run, standardbred racing - I have seen many bikes (racing carts) clip wheels and cause huge crashes - but never once had any horses killed (or people).

Standardbred racing (and thoroughbred racing too) is huge here and my Vet is on the Ontario Racing Commission. This is horse country where I live and there are HUGE farms here - in fact there is a huge Vet clinic not far from here that would likely rival Rood and Riddle. It’s miles of 4 board horse fences paddocks, tracks, barns, clinic, you name it, and and easy drive to Woodbine track (think Queens Plate).

But after my horses, and Bells, I lost my nerve for it. I wouldn’t even go out to the tree plantation across the road and do my flat out gallops down the sandy lanes. I couldn’t risk my horse injury. I never once worried about me you know, although I would be more at risk of injury than the horse. But when you lose your nerve it’s hard to get over it.

And now I am too old and don’t have the same desire for fast horses and big jumps. Now I like dawdling along and watching the butterflies and smelling the pine sap on a hot summer day in the county forest at a very steady walk 💕

Back
Top Bottom