friendly farm opossum makes rounds around coop

Pics

ShiftyShickens

Songster
Dec 12, 2017
the Great Mitten
so I've been dealing with Mr. Snaggles for over a year at least with plenty of "run-ins" between him and the barn cats in the past being observed regularly. anyways recently id gotten my flock and the hairs on the back of my neck began to roost when i had seen his pad marks around my girls villa. now i'm feeling rather territorial sure but not without good reason right? seems like everywhere i look there's a story of rogue opossum running a-muck, reeking havoc on sweet feathered babies all over, leaving a ruthless path of destructing in it's wake. but i still have to ask, will that tiny waif of a creature really hurt my girls like i read about? he's so small! i don't really wanna end Mr. snaggles reign of terror is that's what you would call it...i don't want to but i will. i guess my question is. it there a a way for everyone to get along or is all hope lost for our poor heinous looking friend?

First reason the opossum should be destroyed is because they are not a native species of North America. They were brought over from Europe. Other than vehicles I don't know of any predator that eats them. They have such repulsive stink on them that of caught in a leg hold trap, unless the trap is reboiled nothing will get close to it except another opossum. Thirdly not only do you enjoy your tazty chickens, they destroy game bird nests.

They are the most nasty foulest smelling worthless fur bearing animal in the world. I dont like opossums.

I don't think it's accurate to refer to them as worthless. In fact, they are very beneficial to the ecosystem. If you do some basic research on the opossum, you will learn a lot about them and have a better respect for them. Here are a few main things that I find very interesting as well as beneficial:

- Opossums are immune to snake venom, and love to eat snakes - including venomous ones.
- Opossums also eat lots of vermin and insects, thus reducing the prevalence of those critters around my house.
- Opossums will also scavenge and eat dead animals.
- They also make fun pets, speaking from experience. Although they look and smell mean, they are quite docile and if you approach them slowly and pick them up, it doesn't take them long to curl their tail around your arm and simply sit there like a cat.

With all of that being said, they will eat your chickens under the right circumstances. It has never happened to me, but they have stolen many of my eggs. So, as other posters have said, it would be best to predator-proof your enclosure to protect your birds. They need to eat like any other creature, and that may mean that your chickens look like food to them. I personally try not to kill them because I know how beneficial they are to the environment, but returning guests begin to turn into targets.

I would ensure that your coop is predator proof. An opossum is a threat to chickens but if he can get in, it is very likely raccoons, weasels, foxes and other predators can as well and they won't make their presence know before cleaning house (literally).

First reason the opossum should be destroyed is because they are not a native species of North America. They were brought over from Europe. Other than vehicles I don't know of any predator that eats them. They have such repulsive stink on them that of caught in a leg hold trap, unless the trap is reboiled nothing will get close to it except another opossum. Thirdly not only do you enjoy your tazty chickens, they destroy game bird nests.

They are the most nasty foulest smelling worthless fur bearing animal in the world. I dont like opossums.
Opossums are very important to the ecosystem. I've never known them to smell particularly bad unless they are dead and rotting or have just eaten something that was. They will eat chickens but in my experience they are more likely to suck eggs when available. I am notorious for not collecting my eggs so this has happened to me several times, never lost a chicken to an opossum but I know they will eat them. Opossums are my favorite misunderstood critter. I have rehabilitated two in the past. Very curious critters.
That is apparent, but they actually have a very beneficial aspect. They are major consumers of ticks and help to hold down the spread of Lyme disease. They also eat grubs, mice and other problem critters.
Opposums- Killers of ticks
They are great little creatures, not welcome in the coop, but very important!

17883691_289186098203675_5460788855532921896_n.jpg

I love these little overgrown rats. They are so ugly they are cute to me. I've been fortunate to work with my vet and rehabilitate some in the past. They are such unique animals. I don't welcome them in my chicken coops, for obvious reasons, or in my horse barns as they can carry a disease transmittable to horses, but they are very important. They are often misunderstood.

That is apparent, but they actually have a very beneficial aspect. They are major consumers of ticks and help to hold down the spread of Lyme disease. They also eat grubs, mice and other problem critters.
Opposums- Killers of ticks

1/2 inch hardware cloth wrapping my run, no gaps. They will climb so cover the top if you can. And really important, lay a 2 foot wide apron aroun the whole thing. I have my coop inside my run. I have an apron around the run but also one around the coop JUST IN CASE a critter makes its way inside the run! You could bury the hardware cloth down 2 feet standing uprite. Possum, fox, raccoons, all will dig under fences and coops but will give up if the mesh stops them.

Never relocate. Aside from usually being illegal, it's also cruel to the animal to drop it off where it isn't familiar with food, water, shelter, or being in another animals territory.

I had to look up if opossum were native to north America. Turns out there is one called the Virginia opossum that is native and the only marsupial species native to N. America.

If it weren't for having chickens, I would consider them garden friend because of eating bugs, mice, and rats. My dogs caught one once and I thought they had killed it before I was able to stop them. Then I realized it might be playing possum and returned to check it. Sure enough, it was breathing. That was before I had chickens here. So I just left it alone and yep it was gone several hours later.

With lots of research though, I knew what I had to do for my coop to beef it up. I know it's a possibility... but I don't really worry about break ins and we have way more raccoon than possum, at least that I'm aware of. My dogs aren't LGD, but they still patrol and let me know when they hear something going on so I can respond. So it's layers of security.

Also, possum DO have natural predators. This is a copy and paste..

"The opossum has a number of natural predators in it's environment although the main predators of the opossum are birds of prey such as owls and eagles, dogs, foxes and cats. Humans are one of the main predators of the opossum as they hunt them for meat but the opossum is also commonly killed on the roads by cars."

I still agree with everyone who says dispatch that possum and don't give it the opportunity to eat or maim your chickens.

Nice catch and good luck!

Predator proof your pen. The little guy, though cute, is seeking food and shelter. They will tear in your food, eat your eggs, and reach through wire and pull off your chickens' head. Not to mention their feces are loaded with chicken loving parasites. So do your job and protect your chickens. No, you don't have to kill him, but beef up your coops.

Here's some information for you:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...hickens.html&usg=AOvVaw3Yfg7bplK6sLZm9tIZZQv3

Back
Top Bottom