What position to hatch saddled air cell eggs in?

• Total voters
@WVduckchick - very nerve-wracking... the wait. I keep checking in to see if any have pipped. Only rocking and rolling so far and they love Country Music! Still hanging in there?

:pop

I'm at work!! :barnie
I really don't expect any pips until late this evening, at the earliest. Tomorrow will kill me if I wake up with pips and have to go to work.

Country music is the best. ;)

They look GREAT! Congratulations! That's a great hatch.

We had 10 out of 12 of the shipped Bielefelders hatch and I was thrilled with that, given the problems we had with the shipping - dented box, a crushed egg, 10 detached air cells w/ 4 being saddled as well. Will try to post a video at some point.

Enjoy!

Wow that is great results too! Congrats!
I just set another load of shipped eggs. Royal Palm turkeys, and cream legbars. They look the absolute worst from shipping, i think the P.O. played basket ball with my box. I seriously doubt any will start to develop, but I let them sit for 48 hours, and I won't turn them for a couple days too. We'll see.

Wow that is great results too! Congrats!
I just set another load of shipped eggs. Royal Palm turkeys, and cream legbars. They look the absolute worst from shipping, i think the P.O. played basket ball with my box. I seriously doubt any will start to develop, but I let them sit for 48 hours, and I won't turn them for a couple days too. We'll see.

Wow! Would love to see those babes when they hatch. Have been thinking about cream legbars and black copper marans - maybe next year. Way too many chicks this year already! It's a sickness, you know... but I just can't help myself. Good luck with your next hatch!

IMG_8791.JPG IMG_8796.JPG IMG_8783.JPG

Just putting some in lockdown tonight, and nervous as heck. I have had mixed results with shipping eggs. All that make it to lockdown are always saddled. My local PO sucks.
My first hatch, I left all on their sides with biggest aircell end up. All hatchees did so well. My second hatch, I am devastated because one of the chicks pipped in the wrong spot and the membrane was too tough to break and s/he drowned. I never ever want to experience this again... :'( So I don't know if putting that chick upright might have helped? I'm just not sure! I am going to read the rest of the thread but wanted to post now. Please pray for my babies!

Praying! I would do them on their side, since you have had success with that, and maybe monitor them closely on hatch day. The pot of steaming water and blanket trick that I talked about in this thread really does help you open the lid with little to no fluctuation to temp and humidity. I really hope that it goes well! Keep us posted!
Remember, either decision is a gamble with shipped eggs, and it won’t be your fault if one doesn’t make it.
People have had success with both upright and on their side because neither is the wrong choice. So don’t put to much pressure on yourself.

Just putting some in lockdown tonight, and nervous as heck. I have had mixed results with shipping eggs. All that make it to lockdown are always saddled. My local PO sucks.
My first hatch, I left all on their sides with biggest aircell end up. All hatchees did so well. My second hatch, I am devastated because one of the chicks pipped in the wrong spot and the membrane was too tough to break and s/he drowned. I never ever want to experience this again... :'( So I don't know if putting that chick upright might have helped? I'm just not sure! I am going to read the rest of the thread but wanted to post now. Please pray for my babies!

This has been a really interesting read! You learn so much just browsing here, every day's a school day indeed! Haha. Those are completely adorable chicks That pic alone is almost tempting me to hatch out some more babies, haha. Congrats on your hatch, and best of luck with everything!
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom