Help!!! My duck laid eggs and I’m not sure what to do!!!!

sophia/2ducks

Hatching
Jul 31, 2018
I found out yesterday that my duck laid eggs,she only laid three,and today she laid a dead egg.She hasn’t been sitting on them or laying more in the nest,and I’m wondering if that’s because it’s so hot here in Texas. And I do have my drake in the same pen as her,but they get together fine never fight or peck each other. I would really appreciate advice!!

I'm not sure what you mean by a dead egg.

If you don't want her to hatch them, just take the ones she's laid so far and discard them, and then just collect new ones as they're laid and eat them.

Thank you for replying, what I mean by dead egg is that the embryo died. We do want her to hatch them but my concern is that she hasn’t been paying attention to them,or laying more,and she is not sitting on them.

Thank you for replying, what I mean by dead egg is that the embryo died. We do want her to hatch them but my concern is that she hasn’t been paying attention to them,or laying more,and she is not sitting on them.

What breed is she? Some breeds just don't go broody. Most breeds that do go broody collect a large clutch before they sit, and that can take weeks.

The egg wouldn't have an embryo in it if it was just laid today. They don't start developing until they have been incubated. You usually can't see a clear embryo until day five or six with candling.

There is likely nothing wrong with the eggs. No fretting. They aren’t like human embryonic development. If an egg is fertile, it has a couple tiny tiny cells that aren’t visible to the naked eye. They look and taste the same. Once an egg has been sat on continuously for several days, you can start to see an embryo develop. If the egg has been cracked open and you can see something in it, it is likely 1) a normal yolk or 2) a meat spot. A meat spot is where a small piece of the ducks reproductive tract gets incorporated into the egg while it’s forming. It’s normal and doesn’t hurt anything. And is not a live baby in there.:D

Back
Top Bottom