Hen suddenly stopped using leg

littlehipkitty

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2019
So we've got a 2 year old Sapphire Gem hen that one day suddenly stopped using one of her legs. She tried limping along on it for awhile but after a few days gave up and doesn't use that leg at all anymore - it has been a bit over a month now (we moved her into isolation from the rest of the flock to see if she'd improve). There has never been anything obviously wrong with the leg - no signs of injury or anything. We dosed her with Corid just in case, made no difference.

She doesn't appear to be able to feel that leg at all, she doesn't react to it being touched the way she does with her good leg, and sometimes the toes will get a bit beat up from being dragged on the ground. She otherwise appears to be happy and healthy. We've kept her in isolation (it is one of those small pre-built coops) and she awkwardly hops up and down the ramp but doesn't avoid it - she comes hopping out fast hoping for treats etc. We are still getting eggs from her fairly regularly.

I'm guessing that figuring out what happened to her leg is going to be pretty impossible, but I'm also guessing it is permanent at this point since it hasn't improved over the past month. If anyone knows of anything we can try though we will, but I think the main thing I'm looking for is advice on what to do with her. Would you reintroduce her back to the rest of the flock? Since she doesn't seem to mind her leg not working too much I'd feel bad not giving her a chance, but I don't really want to keep her in isolation forever either.
94FE275B-6987-4C91-A8D6-7DFF41E19ECD.jpeg

9401EEA7-F5C8-4346-965B-C2BBE3AF441D.jpeg

CF0D98E9-E81F-4E93-B808-9D0D93432CC2.jpeg

She may have a tumor, if chickens are the same as ducks the nerves go through the kidneys, renal tumors can cut off the nerve. She also could just have some sort of nerve damage.

I’m sorry if that first suggestion is shocking, I don’t like to worry people unnecessarily but I just want to be honest in case the information’s of any use.

She may have a tumor, if chickens are the same as ducks the nerves go through the kidneys, renal tumors can cut off the nerve. She also could just have some sort of nerve damage.

I’m sorry if that first suggestion is shocking, I don’t like to worry people unnecessarily but I just want to be honest in case the information’s of any use.
Good to know - what would you suggest, just let her back in with the flock and keep an eye on her and let her be as long as she doesn't appear to be in pain?

I’m not sure, maybe if it keeps her happy, though you’ll need to remove her ifshe starts getting bullied.
Sounds like a plan. I don't want her to suffer, but I also don't mind keeping her around as long as she is still happy. I'll keep an eye on her but we've got a couple other "special" hens we rescued from our neighbor and they don't get picked on usually so hopefully she won't either.

Sounds like a plan. I don't want her to suffer, but I also don't mind keeping her around as long as she is still happy. I'll keep an eye on her but we've got a couple other "special" hens we rescued from our neighbor and they don't get picked on usually so hopefully she won't either.
Also something to keep in mind, I’ve been reading this thread about a hen that went lame but recovered https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/ it could also be something viral or bacterial.

Back
Top Bottom