Holderread - American Blue and Lavender Ice Geese

Digging around through Holderread's website I get the sense they are in the process of retiring. They have been selling off breeding groups for a few years now. And now with them stopping shipment of ducklings and goslings. I'd say its safe to say they are about done.
Probably but they might just hatch for their own projects. I know they are selling off all adult stock as they go but maybe these last few breeds they’ll hold some back.
I'd say its safe to say they are about done.
Someone asked them from BYC and they may continue to sell adults. They haven’t decided yet.

they are not doing hatchlings after 2020 but some adults will be available they been at it for 60+ years. I hope I get some hatchings . my first geese from them were blues and I got them as adults I got them shipped to me Wanita said the price for shipping adults has gone up .

Wanita said the price for shipping adults has gone up .
Yes it has! I got 2 pairs of Dutch Hookbills from them yesterday and it was crazy expensive- $262. Now I understand why the Canadians (Toronto area- long drive) drove out to pickup their breeders. I’m in MI and did consider driving! I’m guessing others wanting the last of this breed bailed b/c of the shipping cost. And these are light ducks! I also had a pr of Shetland geese shipped maybe 3 years ago and don’t recall the charges being near this bad. So get those ducklings/goslings while you can!

Last edited:
I am new to this site and unfortunately am late to the game for purchasing Holderread birds. Are any of you breeders of the lavender ice American buff geese? Do you know of anyone who is breeding them. I took it upon myself to inquire MetzerFarm on this. They do not plan to continue this color variety.

I decided to go with breeds that are on the critical list or watch list. I was going to order some blues but then that pandemic hit . decided not to. I have 3 romans instead. Holderread's might have adults' in the fall but it will cost. my Africans are from them and I love them so sweet. good luck .

I am new to this site and unfortunately am late to the game for purchasing Holderread birds. Are any of you breeders of the lavender ice American buff geese? Do you know of anyone who is breeding them. I took it upon myself to inquire MetzerFarm on this. They do not plan to continue this color variety.

I have both a blue and lavender goose (and the ganders to match), and while they have both been laying eggs since March, neither of them is sitting on their nests. I doubt I will get any goslings from them this year, but could probably ship a few eggs if you have the ability to incubate? If you don’t, hit me up later this year or early 2021 if you’re still interested...considering trying my hand at incubation.

I will say that these birds are extremely well tempered, and very pretty. They are a little testy right now with it being breeding season and all, but all that’s really amounted to is some hissing when I collect eggs from the nest. It was also a behavior I’d been anticipating. Despite that, I wouldn’t trade my little flock of geese for anything. They’re really a wonderful bird to have around the wee homestead.

Back
Top Bottom