How Do I Know if My Chickens Are Going to Start Laying Soon?

It's a good thing squatting doesn't work as an indication for me or I wouldn't have any chickens at all since a hen/pullet hasn't squatted here in a decade.
You can't get close enough to most Penedesencas during the day to put your hand over them.
They still lay or they would have been extinct.

I haven't had a hen squat in over 10 years and they continue to lay well.
Squatting is a desire to mate, not that laying is imminent.
Well, it does indicate they are in a 'condition' to lay.
Mine don't squat for me either, but I don't pet my birds.
But I have watched coming of age pullets squat for the cockbird.
Squatting and pelvic points spacing can happen a couple weeks before seeing an egg.
Messing up the nests is the closest sign sign I've seen,
eggs usually appear within days of that happening.

I have Wyandottes! So that means it could be a long time yet, as mine are only about 22 weeks old. :he I introduced layer feed at 19 weeks, maybe it was a bit early? Anyway, I'll have to try feeling the pelvic bones every once and a while.

I have seen posts on here about Wyandotte’s laying in the 20-30 week range, mine just appears to be satisfied with doing her own thing while her sisters pay for rent and food.
Regarding the layer feed, there is a lot of advice and opinions on this site about it. I personally switched to All Flock this year so I could give it to any bird of any age, and have free choice oyster shell for those that want it. I don’t think you are “supposed” to give layer feed until they are actually laying, but I don’t think it will do a ton of damage to them if you’re doing it for a few months before they start laying (assuming worst case scenario and they take a while like mine).

Back
Top Bottom