March 2023 hatch-a-long

My fluffy butts! So far 23 have hatched! Today is day 21, 11 left in the incubator, but no pips in them
20230316_180649.jpg

Second one just hatched! That's 2/7 eggs for Day 20! I have a feeling one more egg might hatch at midnight! They're sure thrashing about in there rolling their unhatched siblings around.

I did notice a small glob of blood from the 2nd chick hatching, what is that?
I have 2 hatched as well. and 2 that look soooooo close . Their pips are bigger and "smashed" instead of zipping..... hoping they zip really soon before I get nervous!!!! another one has made the pip a bit bigger. Then 2 pips are the same still. and 8 still left to pip......

not sure on glob blood. maybe umbilical cord where they were attached to the yolk? it should dry up and fall off.

Some of my hatches have spread over 3 days.
Yes, there’s always a couple that are a day or two early, and I always let the stragglers go for an extra day. I think I had one guy on day 23 so I try to give it time. I have to wonder if this is due to inconsistent temps or something else I could address.

My toddler woke me up about 10 minutes ago and all I could hear was chirping! First baby is out from the first pip from yesterday. I only have two additional pips aside from that so far, but I can’t see into the mesh bags very well so it’s possible there’s action I’m missing. Jeeze, this little one is chirping up a storm that’s heard across the whole house! Hopefully someone joins her soon! (Looks girl to me at first glance.)

4/4 yellow fluffs hatched, and another 5 are in lockdown for a hatch tomorrow. I’m not surprised they’re all at least part, or pure, Bresse, because I tried to mainly set eggs from my Bresse pullets. I hope in the next couple hatches I can get a NN or two, because I’m starting to recognize who lays what eggs, when, and where.

Attachments

• 6FE4AA20-5F41-4A6C-B164-E22E7D9D8212.jpeg
    6FE4AA20-5F41-4A6C-B164-E22E7D9D8212.jpeg
    655.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom