May trade for a new horse thoughts please?

The black gelding does not act like it is trained otherwise asking for a trot would not be an issue, you can tell he does not know what she wants him to do and it look as if she really does not know how to ask him if he did.

He is just kinda meandering in the video not his fault he just don't know what to do. IMO

I had a similar feeling looking at the black. But I would not yet blame the horse - it did not look like the person knew how to longe the horse.

But I also think he is too long strided and free moving for a person in your situation.

The videos run really jerky on my computer, too jerky for me to tell if the horses are lame or not, but at a total guess I'd say neither the chestnut or black are lame, they're just stiff, out of work and sore footed.

I honestly doubt any of her horses would work out for you. You should not be getting anything that is not in work and being done something with.

What about looking up these horses on www.dreamhorse.com? They aren't saying they will trade for cattle, but you'd probably make out better if you sold the cows anyhow.

Tootling Ricochet

Missy Sugar Lynx

Poco Shandy Chex

Toola

3 are in Washington, 1 is nearby in Oregon.

Toola is 12, sturdy and not too tall. She is very pretty.

Mr Shandy Chex is 11, looks sturdy, is a little taller, and the description goes into detail about how reliable and easy he is.

Just a little taller than Toola is this nice foundation Quarter Horse mare, Missy Sugar Lynx. 17 and only a few hundred dollars. She sounds just slightly peppier than Mr Shandy Chex.

Ricochet is 9 and sounds very quiet. She is really a beautiful animal and very cheap. She is not as tall as Mr Shandy Chex, she really is a very nice size.

Not having seen these horses and assuming the descriptions are fair, Mr Shandy Chex sounds like a very quiet reliable animal and confidence builder, as well as up to carrying weight.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was told those horses were trained but obviously not. I have been trying to sell the cows and not getting much response.

I did email on 3 of the horses. Not on Missy Sugar Lynx because of her weight only says she weighs 950. I think shes not able to handle my weight.

Thank you for your help.....I really like shandy chex I think he would be great. I let you know if we proceed any further on these.

So why was the Appy a no?

Ugh, I HATE when people straight up lie then invite you up on the horse.
'Yeah, she rides great!'
What the guy failed to mention was only on a lead.
The horse couldnt figure out what I was trying to ask it to do and finally just took off. Wow! That sure was a ride.
When she decided to stop (cause she didnt know hault) I jumped down gave the guy a "eat poo and die look" got in the car and left.
People will do and say anything to get rid of something they dont want

Last edited:
Just finished uploading the appy videos a bit ago. Ok so here is the appy. She is unpredictable to say the least and I would not say she is a beginners horse because of her spunk for sure. The owner was considering her safe all year thus far. Owners state that beginners ride her all the time. I think I have a good idea on the problem today and you will see as well. In the bucking video there is a stallion leaning over the fence and the appy knows it. The appy kicking/bucking at the horse. I was rude but I could not help but laugh. It would not have been funny to me for sure. I guess that is why she is ridding first. Glad I did not. I will always have the owner ride first and if they won't then it is a no go.

So the video at the hay pile....this is when she first caught the appy. but the appy was on the opposite side of that pile originally as soon as the owner could touch her the appy bolted across the hay pile and flipped around to the side showing in the video....thats when I started recording.

So we walked out of there and I stopped recording. As she took the appy into the empty pasture/arena....the appy bolted through the gate knocked the owner down in the dirt and ran over her. The appy looked to her right then bolted. The owner said what the hell jazz the owner said she has never done that before. The owner did seem very suprised and not on the defense when going in there to begin with I do believe it was very unexpected to the owner. I was not recording at this time. I did decide that it was a no from here on out and it only got worse too.

So then the owner had to catch her again and she could not with out grain assistance. There is a couple videos of this. Once she caught the appy it did fairly well. Till she got on her. Then the bucking and kicking at the other horse started. The owner was in such disbelief and said on the bucking video. After the horse bucked the owner said "what is wrong with you" . The owner stated she was wondering if the appy was coming into heat. The owner said she could not recommend her now for a beginner seeing her acting like this. The owner stayed on her and walked her out a bit so if the appy was throwing a fit she did not get her way. When the owner went to get off not recorded also....as soon as the owner had stepped down the appy started rearing/bucking like a bronco bull. The owner then stated she wonders if she is use to the back strap on the saddle because they have a saddle with the 2 straps and a saddle with only one strap. My husband says not because this horse bolted in here with nothing on yet acting crazy. Then owner jerked a couple times on the bridle when she did this and kept asking are you done yet and the stallion was not anywhere by the fence this time.

While taking the appy out.....the owner was on guard and the horse was being pushy coming out so the owner popped it a few times in the mouth face to get it to back up and asked the horse if we are paying attention now and there were no more problems but the mare went back into the bigger pasture at that point.

So in the time when I was there the owner had fallen once and knocked down once. Got bucked with and kicked with while ridding. I do feel bad all this happened and she said she was not surprised that I had not left yet she said she would of. I figured though I was already there. I do appreciate her taking all the time she did to show me the horses.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s85/ronnysplymouth/appymare/Jazzy.jpg

Even just in the picture the appy looks too sharp. You need a horse that looks like Sleeping Beauty in the pictures. I just sort of had a gut feeling about that place, that she didn't do much with the horses and didn't seem to really be representing them 100% up and up.

I liked that one chestnut too on dreamhorse. Of the post with two ads in it, I liked the second one better, though the 'fast' description made me think, maybe this is one of those folks that is always running their gaited horse.

Buying a horse is a funny thing. People often get carried away by a pretty face or a flashy look. A lot of times, it's that quiet old guy that nobody pays any attention to, that turns out to be golden. Friend of mine got a horse like that, he was 20 when she got him. He saved her rear a whole lot of times.

Last edited:
For whatever it's worth, I think it's quite possible the App's owner was not a liar and was trying to do her level best to tell you what the horse was like. My observation is that an awfully huge number of horse owners, especially in um the lower price brackets shall we say, are TRULY CLUELESS. They genuinely believe that their massively-gimpy horse is 100% sound and has never been off a day in his life; they genuinely do not see any disconnect between the weekly bucking fits their horse has always done and saying to you "he never bucks" (that is, when he does that with them or other people, it does not register as bucking or at least not REALLY bucking); they fully BELIEVE their horse is bombproof and beginner-safe despite all evidence to the contrary (those were just isolated special cases due to extenuating circumstances and the horse can't possibly be blamed...)

TWH's are great, but the one on the Craigslist ad I'm a touch concerned about the description of "FUN FUN FUN ride", which often means "zoom!". Still worth finding out about. Mountain-type Saddle Horses are almost always quite narrow, and not always the best choice for a heavier rider (though some large riders have great balance and it's no problem at all)

Pat

Back
Top Bottom