Metzer Farms Review(s)

Pics

907poultry

Songster
Mar 4, 2022
Many have ordered ducklings through Metzer farms but I want this post here for anyone wondering about packaging, customer service, shipping, etc.
My experience may be different from others, please share yours here as well.

Metzer farms has a variety of breeds to choose from and allows customers to mix and match as they please, they also provide a duck breed comparison chart

https://www.metzerfarms.com/compare-duck-breeds.html

Which doesn’t list all breeds, but is still very useful.

I ordered a small assortment of

1 JP (Jumbo Pekin) F
1 Buff F
2 Blue Swede F
1 Muscovy SR

My total was $65.58(ducklings)+ $9.67 (Poult Pack) +$37.50 (small order charge), $112.77.

Metzer farms hatches and ships Monday-Wensday, the webs day of I got a call and they could not fill the Muscovy, but they were going to ship out the others.

My ducklings shipped from California to Alaska in 48 hours, they first were sent to Memphis Tennessee.

Upon arrival, I picked them up and immediately checked inside of the box;
I was happy to see that Metzer Farms includes the following;

- 2 heat packs
- 2 cups of grow gel
- 1 extra buff duckling

The issue? Well, the extra buff duckling was horrendously crippled by a deformed leg.
The poor girl was lethargic and once I warmed her up and gave her nutri drench, she was still lame. She could scoot around a little bit but by no extent could she walk.
I assumed they she had splayed leg, but I don’t think that is the case now. Her left leg remained pinned back, and twisted inward, I felt around and did not feel any broken bones. She was the only duckling with leftover yolk on her belly, she had squinty, teary eyes, and was very miserable. I got her to eat and drink (22% duckling starter + brewers’ yeast from our local poultry shop), and was trying my best to find a way to fix her leg. I put her in her own box with easy access food and water (she was using them before I went to bed), and access to heat and cool (she could scoot over to whichever she needed). Come, morning, she was gone.

I was very displeased with this, things happen, packages can be handled ruffly. All of my other ducklings are doing fantastic, eating, drinking, and running around. However, it appears we were sent a duckling no one else wanted, and no “quality control” was enacted.

My little buff made such a long journey, and in the end, I am happy I got to meet her and comfort her in her premature death.

I sent an email to Metzer Farms yesterday and will update when I get a response.

Also, it could be that Metzer Farms is not at fault and I encourage others to leave reviews (the good, the bad, and the ugly, here). Feel free to request more information I missed.

That is truly such a sad situation. I have ordered twice from Metzer and each time praying like crazy they arrive safely - it's so nervewracking. I don't think they would send a deformed duck, if they noticed it. Maybe it was an oversight, or possibly an injury that happened along the way. It's such a perilous thing to put such tiny fragile babies through the mail and it's hard to know how they are handled along the way. I'm so sorry for your loss and that you had such a sad thing happen!

I just received three ducklings from Metzer safe and sound a couple days ago. I received three last August, safe and sound, but ordered all females and two turned out to be male. Metzer was very responsive to my inquiry about replacing them, and the ones I just received were the free replacements, plus another that I asked for.

That is truly such a sad situation. I have ordered twice from Metzer and each time praying like crazy they arrive safely - it's so nervewracking. I don't think they would send a deformed duck, if they noticed it. Maybe it was an oversight, or possibly an injury that happened along the way. It's such a perilous thing to put such tiny fragile babies through the mail and it's hard to know how they are handled along the way. I'm so sorry for your loss and that you had such a sad thing happen!

I just received three ducklings from Metzer safe and sound a couple days ago. I received three last August, safe and sound, but ordered all females and two turned out to be male. Metzer was very responsive to my inquiry about replacing them, and the ones I just received were the free replacements, plus another that I asked for.
That’s good, all of the others are energetic and run about; and for their age- they are HUGE, I was surprised when I opened the box.

Hi There, So sorry to hear this about your buff duckling! I am not sure how many ducklings you ordered in total, but we do not normally include extra ducks in orders less than 10 ducklings. Yes, your little buff does sound defective. If you still have your pack slip, we would like to know who initialed it for quality control issues on our end of things. So very sorry that the duckling was not identified as disabled, we do hope though that you enjoy the rest of your flock. Thanks.

Hi There, So sorry to hear this about your buff duckling! I am not sure how many ducklings you ordered in total, but we do not normally include extra ducks in orders less than 10 ducklings. Yes, your little buff does sound defective. If you still have your pack slip, we would like to know who initialed it for quality control issues on our end of things. So very sorry that the duckling was not identified as disabled, we do hope though that you enjoy the rest of your flock. Thanks.
Yes, I should still have the pack slip. Thank you for the response.

Well I checked the paper on the top of their box, and it says the ducklings hatched 03/14 7:00am… what? I received an email that said they shipped out Wednesday (tracking backs this up). We received them Friday, this would certainly explain why they were larger than others of the same breed and age.

I did not get a response to my email but maybe it’s business hour related.

Was the hatch date a mistake? Do they normally keep the ducklings for a day or two before shipping?

I was told that they cannot ship just one duckling (yes, as listed on their website), reasonable, “Ashley” suggested splinting, I don’t think they saw the “she passed away the night I received her”, but they said the would be happy to issue a refund.

Back
Top Bottom