Official BYC Poll: How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

How Old Is / Was Your Oldest Chicken?

• 0-3 years

Votes: 142 33.9%
  • 4-7 years

Votes: 135 32.2%
  • 8-11 years

Votes: 89 21.2%
  • 12-15 years

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • 16-19 years

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • 20 years and older

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • I don't keep chickens yet

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Of my original flock of four, only one remains, Bridge, my Barred Rock. She will be five this month and I don’t think she lays.
94E4C548-D1E0-4972-B50E-5953CC2BED15.jpeg

Two died from EYP and one died of fatty liver. I’ve been frantically trying to slim down my flock since. Of my next batch of six, who will be four in May, one has a laying disorder, so I keep her on hormones.

Because of all our predators, mine only get to free range with supervision. I’m sure they would be leaner and healthier if they could free range all the time, but I’m not willing to take that risk. Here they are free ranging yesterday.
8BFA38EC-968E-442B-A83E-42DD6898C2DC.jpeg
D5444605-1A76-4DE8-9E82-3B8BEC0C16A4.jpeg

This thread gives me hope that with improved husbandry, some of my girls can live to a ripe old age.

Last edited:
My parents’ big yellow rooster, KFC, lived over 20 years. Crowed under my bedroom window every single morning til I was out of the house. Then he moved to my little sister’s window til she graduated and moved out. Then on to the youngest one. But he would come crow outside whatever room I slept in whenever I visited. In the end his bright yellow feathers had faded quite a bit, but that predawn crow stayed ear-splitting to the very end.

My oldest is a Speckled Sussex who will be 8 this spring. Next oldest are two barnyard mixes who will be 5 this spring. This Sussex was still laying 3 to 4 eggs a week last year, but hasn't started laying yet this year. I'll be very sad when she finally passes, as she has been a wonderful hen. The two mutts are each still laying 3 eggs a week and were the only hens, save the spring hatchlings, who laid over this last winter.

My oldest Dutch ‘Ini mini’ is turning 7 this spring. She has proven to be a wonderful broody and mother and she’s still very healthy and nimble.

I bought her as a chick when I started to keep chickens. She is my survivor of 4 chicks. One was a cockerel and was supplier of offspring the next year. Gave him to someone with a flock of Polish bantams because he was too loud early in the morning. I sold one sister of Ini mini with two chicks to someone who had a solitary chicken for companion. The other sister who was less flighty is lost. Probably taken by a buzzard when free ranging.

From the offspring that next year (2015) I kept 3 pullets. Still have them. These 4 Dutch lay an egg every other day from spring to autumn.
D583E05C-A801-4AA1-88F4-D5FCA940D610.jpeg

Edit: picture of Ini mini in front, two other Dutch behind her and 2 younger hens (Tournaisis and mix).

Last edited:
I have 3 retired Barnevelder gals (Hedwig, Buckbeak, and Samantha) that I believe are around 7 years old. We got them the end of 2017 from a neighbor who said they were a "few years old" at that point. So I"m not totally sure their actual ages. They don't lay anymore and starting getting a little slow and rickety when they walked and therefore were getting picked on in the big coop. So, I moved them into one of my bantam coops with one of my sweet little silkie roos, a silkie hen, and a tiny serama hen and the 6 of them get on just perfectly! I love watching them lounge and relax and enjoy their golden years together.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.24.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.24.47 AM.png
    959.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2780.jpeg
    IMG_2780.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom