21hens-incharge

Slightly nuts
6 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
I am wanting some ducks. Put an order in to Sandhill Preservation in Jan for a Sept special of mixed breeds. I am trying to get some green to grow for them in the place I want them, but no rain and limited well water to the area = lots of brown. Probably good for puddles, though.:)
Mine are 100% contained in a permanent run so no green there unless chickens got red cabbage. 🤢
Way to many hawks here to let them out.....I bet they would love a sprinkler though.

21hens-incharge

Slightly nuts
6 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
@DanielE1990 Don't be sad for them. The pen is big and very safe. Once they calm down more about humans I plan to set up some safe space on the grass they can play. It will likely be next spring but they will eventually mellow enough to get time on the grass.
They have 36.4 square feet per duck in the pen. They seem happy enough for now with that.

DanielE1990

Songster
6 Years
Jun 8, 2014
East TN
@DanielE1990 Don't be sad for them. The pen is big and very safe. Once they calm down more about humans I plan to set up some safe space on the grass they can play. It will likely be next spring but they will eventually mellow enough to get time on the grass.
They have 36.4 square feet per duck in the pen. They seem happy enough for now with that.
Sad about all the hawks. I've lost Chickens to hawks in the past. That's the one predictor that when I let them out in the lot that can still easily get them.

It's awesome that you have fixed a nice place for them though!

21hens-incharge

Slightly nuts
6 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
Sad about all the hawks. I've lost Chickens to hawks in the past. That's the one predictor that when I let them out in the lot that can still easily get them.

It's awesome that you have fixed a nice place for them though!
The hawks are a real threat here. I don't even let my vigilant chickens our anymore. For real it is within 30 minutes of letting chickens out the hawks would come.
Chickens at least come running for treats.....my ducks....not so much. :hmm

In the yard yesterday I was buzzed by a brazen sharp shinned hawk. It was close enough if I had seen it coming I could have grabbed it.

Parront

Free Ranging
Jul 27, 2017
Prescott, AZ
The hawks are a real threat here. I don't even let my vigilant chickens our anymore. For real it is within 30 minutes of letting chickens out the hawks would come.
Chickens at least come running for treats.....my ducks....not so much. :hmm

In the yard yesterday I was buzzed by a brazen sharp shinned hawk. It was close enough if I had seen it coming I could have grabbed it.
That is why I have the covered tractor coop. About 1 mile from a Federally protected Peregrine falcon nesting area on Thumb Butte. They would be a nice chicken nugget to a falcon. I couldn't stop a falcon, and they know it. I have seen them circling, & the crows go nuts chasing them.

21hens-incharge

Slightly nuts
6 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
That is why I have the covered tractor coop. About 1 mile from a Federally protected Peregrine falcon nesting area on Thumb Butte. They would be a nice chicken nugget to a falcon. I couldn't stop a falcon, and they know it. I have seen them circling, & the crows go nuts chasing them.
Oh my goodness!! I bet they hey are a real sight in flight. Yeah no free roaming in your hood!!

Molpet

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 7, 2015
New Lenox township. Illinois USA
My Coop
About 5 miles away a fledgling was found injured on my road. I haven't seen any. Usually I have redtails, but I haven't seen any this year. There was a juvenile eagle in a tree in the poultry yard. Chickens all hid but the turkeys stood near the tree screaming at it. I was out there, about 150 ft away, when it landed. It did take off when I went over.

Parront

Free Ranging
Jul 27, 2017
Prescott, AZ
About 5 miles away a fledgling was found injured on my road. I haven't seen any. Usually I have redtails, but I haven't seen any this year. There was a juvenile eagle in a tree in the poultry yard. Chickens all hid but the turkeys stood near the tree screaming at it. I was out there, about 150 ft away, when it landed. It did take off when I went over.
Our neighbor keeps her chickens in a yard with a lot of tree cover, and full grown hens are fine. But young chicks, these are only about 1 pound at 7weeks old, are drawing hawks. I had one swoop past me so fast all I heard was wind. I never saw where it was before I felt the breeze of its wings. It was checking out that cage with yummy nuggets inside! They perch on the top of the power poles.

Top Bottom