@DanielE1990 Don't be sad for them. The pen is big and very safe. Once they calm down more about humans I plan to set up some safe space on the grass they can play. It will likely be next spring but they will eventually mellow enough to get time on the grass.
They have 36.4 square feet per duck in the pen. They seem happy enough for now with that.

@DanielE1990 Don't be sad for them. The pen is big and very safe. Once they calm down more about humans I plan to set up some safe space on the grass they can play. It will likely be next spring but they will eventually mellow enough to get time on the grass.
They have 36.4 square feet per duck in the pen. They seem happy enough for now with that.
Sad about all the hawks. I've lost Chickens to hawks in the past. That's the one predictor that when I let them out in the lot that can still easily get them.

It's awesome that you have fixed a nice place for them though!

Sad about all the hawks. I've lost Chickens to hawks in the past. That's the one predictor that when I let them out in the lot that can still easily get them.

It's awesome that you have fixed a nice place for them though!

The hawks are a real threat here. I don't even let my vigilant chickens our anymore. For real it is within 30 minutes of letting chickens out the hawks would come.
Chickens at least come running for treats.....my ducks....not so much. :hmm

In the yard yesterday I was buzzed by a brazen sharp shinned hawk. It was close enough if I had seen it coming I could have grabbed it.

The hawks are a real threat here. I don't even let my vigilant chickens our anymore. For real it is within 30 minutes of letting chickens out the hawks would come.
Chickens at least come running for treats.....my ducks....not so much. :hmm

In the yard yesterday I was buzzed by a brazen sharp shinned hawk. It was close enough if I had seen it coming I could have grabbed it.
That is why I have the covered tractor coop. About 1 mile from a Federally protected Peregrine falcon nesting area on Thumb Butte. They would be a nice chicken nugget to a falcon. I couldn't stop a falcon, and they know it. I have seen them circling, & the crows go nuts chasing them.

That is why I have the covered tractor coop. About 1 mile from a Federally protected Peregrine falcon nesting area on Thumb Butte. They would be a nice chicken nugget to a falcon. I couldn't stop a falcon, and they know it. I have seen them circling, & the crows go nuts chasing them.

Oh my goodness!! I bet they hey are a real sight in flight. Yeah no free roaming in your hood!!

Oh my goodness!! I bet they hey are a real sight in flight. Yeah no free roaming in your hood!!
From our local paper:
1596925791233.png

About 5 miles away a fledgling was found injured on my road. I haven't seen any. Usually I have redtails, but I haven't seen any this year. There was a juvenile eagle in a tree in the poultry yard. Chickens all hid but the turkeys stood near the tree screaming at it. I was out there, about 150 ft away, when it landed. It did take off when I went over.

About 5 miles away a fledgling was found injured on my road. I haven't seen any. Usually I have redtails, but I haven't seen any this year. There was a juvenile eagle in a tree in the poultry yard. Chickens all hid but the turkeys stood near the tree screaming at it. I was out there, about 150 ft away, when it landed. It did take off when I went over.
Our neighbor keeps her chickens in a yard with a lot of tree cover, and full grown hens are fine. But young chicks, these are only about 1 pound at 7weeks old, are drawing hawks. I had one swoop past me so fast all I heard was wind. I never saw where it was before I felt the breeze of its wings. It was checking out that cage with yummy nuggets inside! They perch on the top of the power poles.

We have a few falcons but I've only seen 3-4 around here in my life. Bald eagles are more common than the falcons. what we see the most though is red tail hawks and that is what has preyed on my chickens in the past. Right now 🤞 I've not seen any around the area I live. So I can let them out without being super vigilant. 4ish years ago (last time I had chickens) I had one that almost got my little dog and it did get about 4 chickens. I was standing there one day and it did less than 29 feet from me. It was a big New Hampshire Red rooster though so it couldn't take off with it. I ran over and was able to free the chicken from it and that rooster lived but after that I stopped letting them out. Shortly after I have them all away.
I have plans for a chicken tractor design I am watching to try next spring though.
Also thinking about something big for the quail but I'm not sold on it yet. Thinking about building a quail shed if I decide to raise a lot more for meat.

Back
Top Bottom