Looking for input here.

I have a confirmed egg eater in my pullet group. Aime is following other birds into the nest box and targeting freshly laid eggs.
For the last week I have been monitoring her movements and removing her to the run while the others end up stuck in the coop to lay without her "help".
Yesterday I didn't do that and there were 2 destroyed eggs.
I just ran her out of the nest where she was bugging Jackie.

Breed is a California White.
Options....
Rehome with full disclosure.
Put in the Bitty house with my elderly non laying bantams.
Process..... Both pounds of her tiny irritating self.

What would you do?
I had one I wanted and when I switched to turkey feed she quit... so higher protein

Hard call Henny, you can try the bitty house but I would be concerned with her behavior there.

Yeah that would require a lot of supervision. Red is big for a bantam and pretty outgoing. Bitty is well bitty. Bitty is also pretty tenacious. Smudge is like the quiet kid in the back row at school. Just tries to be invisible.

I do have the broody breaker cage but Bitty's house is to small for it in there.

I had one I wanted and when I switched to turkey feed she quit... so higher protein

I am feeding an 18% layer in that coop already. I can try a 20% starter/grower.

I have to get shavings for the quack house today. I will look at the turkey feed while there and get either that or chick starter.
Worth a shot.

Yeah that would require a lot of supervision. Red is big for a bantam and pretty outgoing. Bitty is well bitty. Bitty is also pretty tenacious. Smudge is like the quiet kid in the back row at school. Just tries to be invisible.

I do have the broody breaker cage but Bitty's house is to small for it in there.

I am feeding an 18% layer in that coop already. I can try a 20% starter/grower.

I have to get shavings for the quack house today. I will look at the turkey feed while there and get either that or chick starter.
Worth a shot.
I feed 28%

I feed 28%

I have never gone more than 22%. Good to know the 28% doesn't cause issues.

Dealing with trying to break her is taking a huge chunk of my day. :barnie

The only other option is to turn the nests into roll outs. I don't think that will work since she is persistent at following the others into the nest.

Looking for input here.

I have a confirmed egg eater in my pullet group. Aime is following other birds into the nest box and targeting freshly laid eggs.
For the last week I have been monitoring her movements and removing her to the run while the others end up stuck in the coop to lay without her "help".
Yesterday I didn't do that and there were 2 destroyed eggs.
I just ran her out of the nest where she was bugging Jackie.

Breed is a California White.
Options....
Rehome with full disclosure.
Put in the Bitty house with my elderly non laying bantams.
Process..... Both pounds of her tiny irritating self.

What would you do?
If that happened here, I'd be turning her into bacon.

Back from TSC. I hate that they are the only place that carries the large flake shavings I need for the quacks.

Feed they had......
What I already use, game bird starter with 30% protein and the usual layer feeds between 16% and 18%.

I have to go put gas in my truck today so will pop in my regular feed store.

Well my usual feed store has the same options as TSC.
I will start adding canned Mackrel twice a week and see if that helps.

In other news.....
While taking the dogs out for trip 50 today I heard all heck break loose in the coop Amie is in. Yup she was hassling Misty while she tried to lay. Musty has a solid bite mark on her comb.
Amie is really pushing to be "cup-o-soup".

Back
Top Bottom