We had another loss last night. What looked like a coyote came out of the woods and grabbed clover, my lavender orpington. I thought I was going to be able to save her but then after I started getting her cleaned up I realized it basically skinned her entire back and then down her right side. I thought I was going to be able to take care of it and fix it and she would be okay but there was just so much skin missing from her side that it didn't seem possible for her to make it. So now I'm super traumatized and I am for sure not getting chickens again after these are gone. Been thinking about ways that I can section things off so they can still get to their dusting spots but are separated from the woods a little bit more. I think I'm going to get one of those plastic snow fences that are usually like bright orange and I'm going to string it across the back where they like to dust that way I can roll it up when it's not being used so that way any of the bunnies that are out there will still be able to roam around without separated from the yard all the time. My dad offered to put in a chain link fence across the back of the yard but anything big enough to get to them while I'm out there wouldn't be able to fit through the fence so it would have to go over the fence. And then I'll do the same on the other side of the coop. But fortunately where I live there is no closed season for coyotes so if I'm lucky I might get a nice new rug.

We had another loss last night. What looked like a coyote came out of the woods and grabbed clover, my lavender orpington. I thought I was going to be able to save her but then after I started getting her cleaned up I realized it basically skinned her entire back and then down her right side. I thought I was going to be able to take care of it and fix it and she would be okay but there was just so much skin missing from her side that it didn't seem possible for her to make it. So now I'm super traumatized and I am for sure not getting chickens again after these are gone. Been thinking about ways that I can section things off so they can still get to their dusting spots but are separated from the woods a little bit more. I think I'm going to get one of those plastic snow fences that are usually like bright orange and I'm going to string it across the back where they like to dust that way I can roll it up when it's not being used so that way any of the bunnies that are out there will still be able to roam around without separated from the yard all the time. My dad offered to put in a chain link fence across the back of the yard but anything big enough to get to them while I'm out there wouldn't be able to fit through the fence so it would have to go over the fence. And then I'll do the same on the other side of the coop. But fortunately where I live there is no closed season for coyotes so if I'm lucky I might get a nice new rug.
Sorry for your loss
Coyotes can jump and grab the top of a 6 ft fence. A floppy top so they end up back where they came from helps

Sorry for your loss
Coyotes can jump and grab the top of a 6 ft fence. A floppy top so they end up back where they came from helps
Good to know. I plan on staying out with them the whole time and not leaving them. I went over by the garage to talk to my dad and it took a chance. Unfortunately I didn't have anything with me and I didn't want to leave the chickens to get help because it was pacing back in the corner like it was waiting for me to leave so we could go finish the job. The figure by blocking off the back part when they're out it'll at least keep them in one space so there is here to watch and keep something from going directly towards them. I just feel bad leaving them in the coop all the time but I also want them to be safe. I probably won't be letting them out until The weekend once I'm able to get some kind of fence.

Check into electric fencing. Not for the entire place, but for your chicken area. I know it's somewhat more costly, but works best as a long-time solution. Mine has done a wonderful job. It's protected my chickens from stray cats, dogs, opossums, raccoons, coyotes, a wolf, a bobcat, and a cow. It affords safety, and security for my chickens, while at the same time, doesn't really harm the surrounding wildlife. We can all co-exist in peace.

It's NOT an instant success.

The trick is getting the wire strands set at the right heights. I borrowed a game cam for about a week, a couple times, and watched what got past my fence, then adjusted accordingly. There is also some training involved. I did the aluminum foil pouches with canned cat food, hung on the fence. They come, try to eat, get shocked, then run away. For most animals it only takes a shock, or two, then they won't come near it. I confess, I had 1 exception. There was this one opossum that got zapped for about a week, until it finally got the message. Even after it stopped getting zapped, it would smell or listen to see if the fence was on. Yes, they can smell, or hear if it's on or not.

When the initial wildlife learn not to go near the electric fence, they teach their siblings, and offspring to avoid it. Again, it's a great long-term solution.

Hi folks!

I’m still alive! Things have been crazy here. Still fostering the two foster boys, looking like it’s moving towards termination. We are most likely going to adopt if it comes to that. The 3 Things are all growing like weeds. The baby is now 2.5 😭.

Lost my boar last week, he was sick for 1.5 months. Couldn’t get a vet out here to see him. He started back in August with having no appetite and not wanting to move. We thought he turned a corner because he was at least eating some of his feed, but when the cold weather hit, he went down hill quick. I’ve got another boar coming on Thursday. I’m excited about that. All the rest of our piggies are great we did send one of the sows to freezer camp a few months ago because she never gave us any babies. She’s a little tough, but once in a pressure cooker, she’s tasty. So much fat!

How are you all doing! I’m going to skim through the posts to see what I missed. Oh, I saw this video and thought you guys would laugh as much at this as I did

https://www.facebook.com/reel/337663692036540/

@Kiki

Hi folks!

I’m still alive! Things have been crazy here. Still fostering the two foster boys, looking like it’s moving towards termination. We are most likely going to adopt if it comes to that. The 3 Things are all growing like weeds. The baby is now 2.5 😭.

Lost my boar last week, he was sick for 1.5 months. Couldn’t get a vet out here to see him. He started back in August with having no appetite and not wanting to move. We thought he turned a corner because he was at least eating some of his feed, but when the cold weather hit, he went down hill quick. I’ve got another boar coming on Thursday. I’m excited about that. All the rest of our piggies are great we did send one of the sows to freezer camp a few months ago because she never gave us any babies. She’s a little tough, but once in a pressure cooker, she’s tasty. So much fat!

How are you all doing! I’m going to skim through the posts to see what I missed. Oh, I saw this video and thought you guys would laugh as much at this as I did

@Kiki
Glad the fosters and the things are doing well. Sorry about the boar.

Hi folks!

@Kiki
What a nice surprise you checking in today!
I'm so glad to hear all of the kids are doing well!

Back
Top Bottom