Horizontal is much better than vertical, unless you have the trays under them. My last batch of meat birds would pick a nipple and three or four of them would peck it constantly until a puddle formed in the bedding, then they would drink from the puddle. Every now and again they'd take a drink while pecking, but nope not gonna drink from them.
I hope they pick them up. I hate the waterer I have. I've dumped the entire 3 gallons on myself more then once.

I've heard the horizontal don't freeze as easily either.

What the taters you say?!?!

Yup babies ALL year!!

Sounds like a dangerous and wonderful place!

The first time I went it was "customers hands off". The last time still no touch but they showed you the chick all over before it went in the box.

Ok, Something I bite my tongue on while on other threads, but you folks won't crucify me for sharing... Mill dates are cool and really the only thing we can rely on in most cases, but they are what they are, the date the grains were milled. When I found out my co-op was using 4 year old shelled non-GMO corn in my feeds and two year old fish meal, I about lost it. There are recommended shelf life's for whole stored grains, based upon their storage environment, but the regs focus on mill date. Low oil grains such as oats, barley, corn, etc have an average shelf life of 1 year and then nutritional value starts to drop. Two years still acceptable, four years still worked but not optimal by any stretch. Whole roasted soy, six months, fish meal exposed to Oxygen two months. One can extend those shelf life issues by putting them in a dark cool place in air tight containers with Oxygen absorbers. I use food grade buckets lined with mylar bags and double the recommended Oxygen absorbers.

Henny, you gave me an Idea... I'm gonna reach out to my feed store and ask if they'd like to sell some rare breed birds in the spring...

Good points about old grains used. :sick

Oh come on now! It isn't bad just interesting. Sultans might not be derpy, they sound regal and stuff.;)

Do it! Beret boy would love some big ditzy ladies.:D

That store sounds like a trap.:oops:

I love me a good trap! Lol I tend not to go cause I have to travel through a college town with horrible traffic and perpetual construction.

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/grd/d/fort-collins-chicks-in-and-chicks-coming/6798138181.html

They will order whatever you want with no upcharge.
:celebrate Wait I mean :oops:

I have some hort nipples
pros
1 stays cleaner... if it's sitting on the floor they do bury the nipples and then they sometimes leak
2 slower to freeze, especially if sitting on the floor
3. doesn't spill if knocked around/down being carried.. main reason I use them
4. easy to fill

con
1 can't tell its froze w/- pushing.. or how close it is to freezing shut
2 can't open up water when a layer of ice, a bell I can
3 for chicks older than 2 wks.. they have trouble pushing it younger... the cx mix could push it at 3 days and the heritage would drink that water.
4 when hanging and less than 1/3 my birds have troubles because it moves too much.
5 turkeys have to steal the orange plug on top of pre built waterers. :rant
ETA 6 harder to thaw

they recommend not to hang more than 2 gal

Last edited:
Good online shopping night,spent less than thirty dollars and got everything I needed.
Got a usb nail grinder for spurs and nails. Grinding is way less dangerous than clipping when they try to EAT the clippers.
Got a pound of soldierfly and mealworms mixed.
And for me 2 lantana plants for spring. Was going to wait but 30%off and free shipping motivated me. I normally get more but one or two always outgrow and dwarf the others anyway plus iv'e got all those cleome seeds to sow.:)

Oh crap, they've got Marlenes...don't do it Henny!:oops:
Yup babies ALL year!!

The first time I went it was "customers hands off". The last time still no touch but they showed you the chick all over before it went in the box.

Good points about old grains used. :sick

I love me a good trap! Lol I tend not to go cause I have to travel through a college town with horrible traffic and perpetual construction.

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/grd/d/fort-collins-chicks-in-and-chicks-coming/6798138181.html

They will order whatever you want with no upcharge.
:celebrate Wait I mean :oops:

Oh crap, they've got Marlenes...don't do it Henny!:oops:

They get a lot of wonderfully interesting breeds in a couple months.

:oops::oops::oops:

But I want a Marlene and a Rene.

I am still full up at 26 birds. I would have to part with several before I could bring any home. Not on the likely to happen list. :hmm

Well you might get an actual Rene, you've seen it happen lol! So that is only half a chicken.
Marlenes count as two chickens easy though but those giant eggs!
26 is less than 30 so not too bad.
I'm stirring the pot, i'm sorry i'm trying to rationalize a bakers dozen for myself so i'm not a good person to listen to.:)
They get a lot of wonderfully interesting breeds in a couple months.

:oops::oops::oops:

But I want a Marlene and a Rene.

I am still full up at 26 birds. I would have to part with several before I could bring any home. Not on the likely to happen list. :hmm

Well you might get an actual Rene, you've seen it happen lol! So that is only half a chicken.
Marlenes count as two chickens easy though but those giant eggs!
26 is less than 30 so not too bad.
I'm stirring the pot, i'm sorry i'm trying to rationalize a bakers dozen for myself so i'm not a good person to listen to.:)

Lol It's all good Chicky!
I am having a good laugh.
I had WAY to many broody hens last year. I have been running short on eggs forever.

Back
Top Bottom