I took time to process the last of the pork I hadn't frozen or set to cure as bacon last night. It was a bag of scrap meat and fat. I turned it into maple sausage. It was delish! We cooked up a lb of it and froze the other 3 lbs. That makes 106lbs of meat, roasts, bacon, etc if you don't count the bones and fat

Oooh what's your recipe??? If you dare lol we get hog all the time and make hamburger and sausage but we just do Breakfast Blend in it but we would love to do others. And ones that have been tested and good. Dont think we can get Bacon off the wild ones... 🤷‍♀️

Bacon recipe or Sausage?

I'm trying the bacon recipe for the first time. I'll let you know how that goes. I'm only curing the bacon, not smoking it as we don't have the means to smoke it.
https://www.reformationacres.com/2014/03/how-to-cure-and-smoke-bacon.html/cookbook-print/26723
This is my sausage recipe.
Maple Breakfast Sausage
1 lb ground meat (beef, pork, turkey, etc.)​
1 egg (optional)​
1 t. salt​
1/2 t. sage​
1/4 t. savory​
1/8 t. nutmeg​
1/8 t. ginger​
1/4 t. black pepper​
1-2 shakes cayenne red pepper​
2 shakes thyme​
1/2 T. oil (if using a lean meat)​
3/4 T. Maple syrup(optional)​
Mix all ingredients and fry.​

Last edited:
Yeah..here’s a question..Chris and I have been adding to our flock. We’ve bought 20 pullets at $10 apiece..all came from hatcher...why would you buy chicks..raise them until are just about or are producing...and then sell them..for ...what we consider..no gain,but a loss?
I hatch for cockerels for the freezer. I hate wacking a perfectly good pullet, even though they taste great....soooo I sell the extra pullets that don't fit in my breeding program.

I have had chickens hatch turkey eggs and turkey hatch chickens

Ih Rae thanks abunch!! Definitely let me know on the bacon! We havent cut bacon yet from the pigs because most of the pigs we get are wild but we have a meat pig(bluebuttXGOS) we are fattening up so we may do it to him. 🤞he has some bacon on him!
Oh, I got the wrong amount for the syrup. it should be 3/4 of a tbsp not a tsp.

Back
Top Bottom