One of my month and a half ducklings had bald spots on her sides... why??

I'm sorry - don't let her ruin your bed! If you know someone else who keeps ducks maybe you will want to end up rehoming the feather-puller. With different ducks she might behave totally different. My pekin has never pulled a feather from my welsh harlequins - only the other pekins. I have managed to keep mine pretty divided into two groups, but it's a hassle at times.
I won’t! She’s on a puppy pad! I might but I think I’ll need to think on that a lot more. I bought them both myself and I don’t have a job because Im too young I can get one this year though. They were $80 plus all their other stuff! So I did a ton of chores to be able to pay for them!! I pay for all my ducks stuff because I promised I would and It’s not a big deal to me. But I think if I have to I will with rehoming her sister. We have 1 drake and 1 female outside now but that’s why we have these girls!
1365842B-1887-44B9-8B4F-5BD1C00A535B.jpeg

Well she's beautiful, and I understand completely. My ducks are pets and I don't have the heart to get rid of my Tuppins. I'm willing to put in the work to monitor them, even though I complain about it. I'm not sure what's driving the behavior for your ducks since they're a little young for mating behavior (I'm not an expert on that), but that seems to be a part of what I'm dealing with, so I wonder if once your babies get a little bigger and join the other ducks, whether things might settle down, since they have a drake and new "pecking order" so to speak. Let this one heal up fully and then slowly introduce them to your older ducks and watch them a lot. Since you just have these two babies though right now, make sure you have them separated by a wire fence, or something they can see through or they will be too lonely. My ducks lay right next to the fence, so they can still be together in their little group!

Well she's beautiful, and I understand completely. My ducks are pets and I don't have the heart to get rid of my Tuppins. I'm willing to put in the work to monitor them, even though I complain about it. I'm not sure what's driving the behavior for your ducks since they're a little young for mating behavior (I'm not an expert on that), but that seems to be a part of what I'm dealing with, so I wonder if once your babies get a little bigger and join the other ducks, whether things might settle down, since they have a drake and new "pecking order" so to speak. Let this one heal up fully and then slowly introduce them to your older ducks and watch them a lot. Since you just have these two babies though right now, make sure you have them separated by a wire fence, or something they can see through or they will be too lonely. My ducks lay right next to the fence, so they can still be together in their little group!
My ducks are also pets! I used the ratio thing as an reason I should get kore ducks lol!! But I really got them because there ducks I mean what’s not to love about them!!! And same!! My drake is aggressive towards me but not his lady. Idk why but he chases me and bites but I’ve been working on it with him and he seems to be getting better with it. And yes! I’ve had to acclimate my outside babies. I had my drake and then I got him a lady when he was about a month because i decided it was best. They hated eachother but loved eachothers company! It was the weirdest thing! I’m definitely going to wait because it’s cold like super cold and my house is super warm! We are putting them in the shed with the light and then no light and then outside!

I agree, what's not to love about ducks - especially pekins!! When I was a kid I had a female pekin and male mallard and he used to also chase me and bite me - I guess protecting his female. Maybe yours will tame down a bit when you have them all together. Sounds like you have a good plan for that! Please keep us updated about your sweetie and hopefully you can post a photo in a couple weeks of her looking much better!

I agree, what's not to love about ducks - especially pekins!! When I was a kid I had a female pekin and male mallard and he used to also chase me and bite me - I guess protecting his female. Maybe yours will tame down a bit when you have them all together. Sounds like you have a good plan for that! Please keep us updated about your sweetie and hopefully you can post a photo in a couple weeks of her looking much better!
Our male is also a mallard! Drakes are meanie heads sometimes!! And yes probably! Hopefully he will because I know that boys calm down after their first year usually. I will definitely keep you guys updated. Thank you so so much❤️

Good news! It’s looking a lot better! Still a little raw but way better then it was yesterday! We also have vetericyn spray now! Shes doing way better! These photos are from both sides at around 7:30pm today! It still looks pretty bad still but looks better if you compare yesterday’s photos to now!❤ 78A5C05C-99B8-4369-8110-6BD4E8F88E25.jpeg 4F211D43-7B20-4D5E-8503-95733D0A59D0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom