Kippy80

Hatching
Jun 21, 2021
I got 2 chicks from a store on the 16th. They were both a little sick. We were going to get 3 chicks, but the mother didn’t want her to go. Unfortunately, we were informed that the 3rd had died, the mother was sick. The male chick has blue around his eyes, he doesn’t open them a lot. The female chick had blue on her eye lids. They’re feather, but not fully.

We put them inside a little box with food and water in my room, we try to keep the temp at 75F. They seem to getting better. Sometimes the male would sneeze. Yesterday, they started to have green poops. Today, they had green poops too, but some normal ones too. They didn’t poop a lot like they normally did. Around 5 PM, I took a nap. When I woke up, the female chick had died. She died during my sleep. We buried her. She had white feathers. But not a lot around her vent. She had dried poop there a couple days ago but I removed it with a warm damped cloth. My grandmother who knew some things about chickens said the male one seemed to be sicker and he would die. But the female died first. I’m not sure if he knows that his sister died or not. I put a little plush toy in there so he can be around it and be warm.

How can I take care of the male chick? We may get another one about his age and his breed, but we still don’t know the breed, I will post a image of them in the reply section. What foods can I give him so he can get more strong and happy? Please help. We also have a dog if that helps, we keep him away from them but we carry him so he can look at them for a little from a top view.

Image I took of them a while ago. Room was about 75F when I took the picture, not sure why they piled. Bottom is the male, top is the female. Help me identify the breed.

Attachments

• 64B2FF54-3C2C-4C0A-BE9F-3B644F49AF92.jpeg
    64B2FF54-3C2C-4C0A-BE9F-3B644F49AF92.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 17
Hi, first of all, it seems like your set up is too cool. Chicks need 95 the first week, minus 5F for every week after....

Appropriate heat will help bring their immune systems back up to fight whatever problem they are having.

I’m not too familiar with diseases, you might want to post in the emergency section to get better help.

Hi, Keep it near a lamp light or keep a globe light over the head about 10cm. high. Sure they need warmth. Try feeding chick with chicken starter and rice grain plus water.

I got 2 chicks from a store on the 16th. They were both a little sick. We were going to get 3 chicks, but the mother didn’t want her to go. Unfortunately, we were informed that the 3rd had died, the mother was sick. The male chick has blue around his eyes, he doesn’t open them a lot. The female chick had blue on her eye lids. They’re feather, but not fully.

We put them inside a little box with food and water in my room, we try to keep the temp at 75F. They seem to getting better. Sometimes the male would sneeze. Yesterday, they started to have green poops. Today, they had green poops too, but some normal ones too. They didn’t poop a lot like they normally did. Around 5 PM, I took a nap. When I woke up, the female chick had died. She died during my sleep. We buried her. She had white feathers. But not a lot around her vent. She had dried poop there a couple days ago but I removed it with a warm damped cloth. My grandmother who knew some things about chickens said the male one seemed to be sicker and he would die. But the female died first. I’m not sure if he knows that his sister died or not. I put a little plush toy in there so he can be around it and be warm.

How can I take care of the male chick? We may get another one about his age and his breed, but we still don’t know the breed, I will post a image of them in the reply section. What foods can I give him so he can get more strong and happy? Please help. We also have a dog if that helps, we keep him away from them but we carry him so he can look at them for a little from a top view.
Okay, he is starting to eat normally again. He is eating Purina Chick starter feeder, non medicated. He also seems to like to be on top of the plush. I cleaned everything in the box.

Good to know that he is eating now. Provide water also and maybe start looking for a friend for him.
Cheers!

Awwww I dont know very much as all my chicks have been super super healthy (tractor supply does amazing with their chicks’ and I just got 6 more today! I’m so sorry that’s happening and definitely make his brooder warmer that’s very cool for a baby chick. He could be anything from a golden comet to a Cornish cross. Where did you get them and I’m sorry about the girl.😢

Back
Top Bottom