Pics
Up all night here. It's 4:15 am and I haven't slept a wink. DS is a bit under the weather and his tonsils are swollen. Taking him to the doc when the office opens this morning. That's got me paranoid on top of my regular difficulty to sleep most nights.
Being awake anyway, I let the dehydrator run extra on the apples. I just bagged them a but ago after nearly 16 hours. The recipe I followed called for 12 hours, and I'm now convinced 12 hours would be just fine. They are tasty and sweet though. Golden delicious are fast from being the sweetest apples, but the sugar condensed and might a sweet snack after all. I would love to try a really treat apple in the dehydrator. I love sour, tart and sweet foods. A crisper apple would be nice to try also. Perhaps something like a fuji. If my apple tree in the yard makes it, I'll eventually have granny smiths, and I'm sure they would be delicious dried.

the sweet sixteen apples make a super sweet dried apple, almost too sweet but good. the more mature the apple, the softer and chewier the dried slice will be. I like to dry the peels of the apples when I make an apple pie, no reason to waste such goodness. The peels usually get pretty crunchy and tasty.

I usually let my apples dry for 16 hours also, I had a batch mold once so don't wnat that to happen again..

Hey all I AM SO GLAD TO FIND THIS THREAD AGAIN. ! I ordered Ball lids off of walmart. com about 2-3 weeks ago. There was limit of 6 boxes of each size(reg. amd lrg.) But decent prices 2.78 and 3.18. Just wanted to let all you know cause I was shocked and skeptical but came in 7 to 10 days or so. Yes Ball brand . Especially thought of you @Withrlady and breeder
Been picking them up at Menards as I find them. Whole case of regular flat lids (which are what fit on my 100 year old jars, 3.29 each. I didn't get them all though. LOL.

DS is doing alright. Tonsils were less inflamed today than last night. Doc said they are a not swollen still, but no puss sacks. He tested for strep to be safe and it came back negative. Appears to just be a random virus, but DS's immune system is doing its job. Some meds to help so his post nasal drip and control the fever and pain. He should be better soon.

the more mature the apple, the softer and chewier the dried slice will be
These apples are very ripe. Makes sense they the remain cherry even after 16 hours then.

I have 2nd batch in now. Supposed to be done at 4am (16 hrs), but I wil add some extra time so it runs until at least 8am to ensure somebody is there to unload the dehydrator when it's done.

Hey came across a spinach and apple salad with a Vinaigrette

5 ounces fresh baby spinach
2 small apples, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/3 cup dried cranberries
3 ounces crumbled cheese

Apple Cider Vinaigrette Ingredients:

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced