Pics
I have an American Harvest dehydrator that is over 20 years old. I have an extra 4 sets of trays for it, so pretty much maxed out on number of trays. Actually, I have 2 of the dehydrator units, I forgot I bought one at an auction. I really like it and used to use it quite often. I will be using it to dehydrate tomatoes soon. It works as well with 15 trays as it does with 5, you just have to move the top 5 trays to the bottom of the stack about 1/2 way through. My sister has one and made fruit leather for her kids all the time.
12 hours for 1/8 inch thick banana slices to get them nice and crunchy.

I am planning to build a homemade solar dehydrator to help with the dehydration needs around here.

I have a mid size Excalibur dehydrator. It has 5, 15 x 15 inch trays, many labeled settings for temps, and works well. Drying times of course varies , according to the moisture, subject thickness and heat setting that is appropriate for the food item. Be sure and order silicon sheets for wet items, like fruit leathers. This one has been in regular/ extensive use for about 6 years. It is plastic, but works great and holds more than my last pretty, stainless steel one. It cost a bit more as well, but has lasted longer and is larger inside, works great for making yogurt and proofing dough, in cold weather, for bread making. Quart canning jars easily stand inside for making yogurt.

Last edited:
I have a mid size Excalibur dehydrator. It has 5, 15 x 15 inch trays, many labeled settings for temps, and works well. Drying times of course varies , according to the moisture, subject thickness and heat setting that is appropriate for the food item. Be sure and order silicon sheets for wet items, like fruit leathers. This one has been in regular/ extensive use for about 6 years. It is plastic, but works great and holds more than my last pretty, stainless steel one. It cost a bit more as well, but has lasted longer and is larger inside, works great for making yogurt and proofing dough, in cold weather, for bread making. Quart canning jars easily stand inside for making yogurt.
DITTO all of that!
I cringed at the price when I decided to buy it, but it has outlived every other dehydrator I've purchased. Also going on 6 years here.

I splurged on the 9 tray Excalibur. About 25 years ago. I love it and have never had any issues with it.

I finished 7 pint jars of dill pickles and 5 jelly jars of sweet relish today. 🥫
IMG_1806.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

Back
Top Bottom