Pics
The harvest is slowing down.
I'll soon be clearing out the squash and pumpkin vines along with the remnants of bean vines, corn stalks and sunflower stems. Tomatoes will be the next to go over that. The watermelon has recently had a late season growth spurt, but I doubt it will produce for before the cool weather shuts it down. I'll likely be pulling that out with the tomatoes. Peppers are still growing, but slower now. I'm holding out on them, but there's plenty to harvest.

I want to put up more canned tomato goods with the last of the tomatoes. I intend to bake and puree and then freeze pumpkins and some of the butternut that I'm harvesting. I'm still waiting on the pickles before making pickle chips. I also need to purchase fermenting lids to make hot sauce with peppers, but might dry some as well. That might be the last of my garden harvest and preservation for the year.

Last edited:
We made salsa today. In 10 half pint jars, DH put 8 habanero and 6 jalapenos. He pronounced it excellent and had some on his tacos for dinner. I licked the spoon and said, yup, it's way to hot for me. I'm a wimp.

I might get some more tomatoes, but just a couple here and there for fresh eating. DH wants to make some more salsa -- the habanero plants are LOADED! -- and I need to can at least 14 more quarts. I'll have to buy another half bushel.

For those of us who buy or sell tomatoes, what do processing 'maters go for a half bushel? I'm paying $10 for very nice, 1/2 to 3/4 pound toms.

We made salsa today. In 10 half pint jars, DH put 8 habanero and 6 jalapenos. He pronounced it excellent and had some on his tacos for dinner. I licked the spoon and said, yup, it's way to hot for me. I'm a wimp.

I might get some more tomatoes, but just a couple here and there for fresh eating. DH wants to make some more salsa -- the habanero plants are LOADED! -- and I need to can at least 14 more quarts. I'll have to buy another half bushel.

For those of us who buy or sell tomatoes, what do processing 'maters go for a half bushel? I'm paying $10 for very nice, 1/2 to 3/4 pound toms.
Here they sell the not so pretty tomatoes for canning for 20 pounds for $30.
My problem with them, I've bought them twice, is that I can't pick my tomatoes in the box and have it weighed. I've brought home boxes with rotten to half ripe or split in the same box. One time I tossed out so many that it would have been less expensive to buy the 'pretty ones'.

Here they sell the not so pretty tomatoes for canning for 20 pounds for $30.
I don't know what a half bushel of tomatoes weighs, but I'm pretty sure it was more than 20 pounds. Yes, a few had split, and some had some bad spots, but I get about 21 quarts from a bushel, with a few left over. And that's $20. I just wish I knew what variety this place planted. I asked, and the woman said they plant a lot of different varieties. Well, they sure peel well!

I don't know what a half bushel of tomatoes weighs, but I'm pretty sure it was more than 20 pounds. Yes, a few had split, and some had some bad spots, but I get about 21 quarts from a bushel, with a few left over. And that's $20. I just wish I knew what variety this place planted. I asked, and the woman said they plant a lot of different varieties. Well, they sure peel well!
Full bushel of tomatoes is about 50-55 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom