Pics
The local produce store had squash and pumpkins on sale for $1 each. I bought two hubbards and two turbans. I'm new to both of these in the kitchen. Now I'm figuring out what to do with them.

It looks like the turban is the right texture to bake into a pie, mashed squash, or roasted squash, or a stuffed squash (which I hope to do with one of the two).

As for the hubbard, what the heck do you do with it? Looking it up I found that it's said to be less sweet and more like a baked potato in texture. It's a difficult shape to stuff because I fear it may roll over. And I'm not so sure about making baked goods like a pie with it because it's said to be less sweet. Are roasting, steaming and mashing my only real options here? There has to be more creative uses of this awesome looking squash.
Hubbard's are bakers!

The local produce store had squash and pumpkins on sale for $1 each. I bought two hubbards and two turbans. I'm new to both of these in the kitchen. Now I'm figuring out what to do with them.

It looks like the turban is the right texture to bake into a pie, mashed squash, or roasted squash, or a stuffed squash (which I hope to do with one of the two).

As for the hubbard, what the heck do you do with it? Looking it up I found that it's said to be less sweet and more like a baked potato in texture. It's a difficult shape to stuff because I fear it may roll over. And I'm not so sure about making baked goods like a pie with it because it's said to be less sweet. Are roasting, steaming and mashing my only real options here? There has to be more creative uses of this awesome looking squash.
Great score! I love Hubbard squash, but have always enjoyed it baked. If I had a medium-sized one now (that would fit), I'd cook it whole in my Instant Pot, like a pumpkin.

Well a turban squash is in the oven now I'm going to use a cup worth to finish measuring out pumkin puree for my homemade pies. I'm amazed at how large the seeds are and how many of them there are. I'll likely roast the seeds for snacking. I was tempted to save for the garden, but they'll likely grow into some mutant.

20211123_135943.jpg
20211123_135953.jpg

Since I mentioned the pies, here's the freshly baked pie crusts for the pumkin pies and an apple pie that is cooling. I have successfully frozen and thawed this pumpkin recipe, so if one of the rwo pumpkin pies doesn't get eaten Thursday I'll freeze it for another day, maybe for Christmas.

20211123_135853.jpg
20211123_135931.jpg

Turkey carcass is in the little Nesco Roaster making broth. I am going to can the broth for use later. Mom made a 14 lb turkey for 4 of us. Interesting meal as dad is now on a Low-Salt diet. She did well with the spices, the turkey was incredibly moist - only hte mashed potatoes and gravy were bland.
AS there was alot of turkey left over, Mom had made up her mind that I would take all the leftovers. I made her freeze some turkey for Dad to have in sandwiches - it will be better than the deli turkey that she buys for him.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Turkey carcass is in the little Nesco Roaster making broth. I am going to can the broth for use later. Mom made a 14 lb turkey for 4 of us. Interesting meal as dad is now on a Low-Salt diet. She did well with the spices, the turkey was incredibly moist - only hte mashed potatoes and gravy were bland.
AS there was alot of turkey left over, Mom had made up her mind that I would take all the leftovers. I made her freeze some turkey for Dad to have in sandwiches - it will be better than the deli turkey that she buys for him.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
TruLemon makes a lemon powder. I use it on things as a salt substitute on chicken breast. Would be great on turkey too. I use TruLime on beef.
Am not low salt, but cutting it out here and there isn't a bad thing. I found these out by accidental usage one day, and just kept going.

I broke down, repacked and froze 4 turkeys today and have 6 more to do tomorrow. The carcasses get roasted and turned into stock. I've been cooking up a pot of turkey stock for the last several hours. It will go into tomorrow and then I'll start another batch. I'll likely freeze all the stock, although the idea of pressure canning it is growing on me.

Yup it is. You want to remove as much fat as humanly possible when you can.
#1 it reduces the shelf life down to 6-9 months.
#2 fat can drastically reduce the success rate of you seals

You can skim your fat off or use a fat separator, but I usually just chill the finished stock and lift off the disk of chilled solid fat. Then I'll divide that up into equal portions to the number of jars I do up and shove those in freezer bags, chuck in the freezer, and add it back in later.

I'm afraid my oranges are going to go bad before we can eat them all. I found out that you can peal them and freeze them.
It should work out well to do that to use for cider in the crockpot at a later time.
I'm going to make some banana bread to use up the bananas that are overripe, tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom