Ribh's D'Coopage

And now for a chicken of a different sort.
Mama Curlew with her chick.
Can you see it?​
20200124_061131 (2).jpg

We lost one of the BRs in January's heat, & the prefab, as prefabs do, is already starting to come apart ~ but we have chickens so my man has mounted his white charger to come to the rescue. [I did say it is necessary to push the envelope sometimes... :D ]

The pre~fab has been condemned. The bigger & better & brighter coop will rise in it's place ~ ready for the next lot of chickens.View attachment 1693404
I got a similar prefab. Turned it into a nesting box for a broody Orpington (Alberta). I put a few bantam SLW eggs under her. Only one hatched (Bitsy). Prefab only lasted one season.

Attachments

• broodhouse.png
    broodhouse.png
    608.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Alberta and baby Bitsy.jpg
    Alberta and baby Bitsy.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Alberta and Bitsy 1.jpg
    Alberta and Bitsy 1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 8
I got a similar prefab. Turned it into a nesting box for a broody Orpington (Alberta). I put a few bantam SLW eggs under her. Only one hatched (Bitsy). Prefab only lasted one season.
Hi oldhen2345. Surprisingly mine is still going. It's in the run presently & the girls use it for shade & shelter. My Campines sometimes lay in the nesting boxes rather than those in the big coop.

Hi oldhen2345. Surprisingly mine is still going. It's in the run presently & the girls use it for shade & shelter. My Campines sometimes lay in the nesting boxes rather than those in the big coop.
Mine's still going too, luckily! Maybe weather conditions are a factor?

Me too. I've seen Luna, who is such a kind chookie, Ha'penny, Soda & even Suyin put a protective wing over Lottie if they happen to be the girl roosting with her.
One of my white Boys from Chickie Hawk would do something like this as well. They were in a three sided chicken tractor with a tarp for “walls” when the wind would pick up from the wrong direction or the weather got nasty he would shelter the rest of the flock by extending a wing over the nearest chook. Sadly he was one of the lastbirds the Owl got. He could’ve been a keeper... (like I need more cockerels/roosters? :rolleyes: )

We've had some weather. Fat Bird (the black hen in the picture) headed straight for the sheep shed after breakfast. Cillin has learn't that Fat Bird knows stuff and stayed out most of the day.
View attachment 2009165
Solomon who doesn't mind the rain as long as it's not cold and Jenny seemed unconcerned by the weather in general.
View attachment 2009166

Those are some funny looking chickens in that second picture!

I've got to admit, I'm getting too old for this crisis stuff. I was out with the chain saw until 4am last night with a few of the others who live on this side of the mountain. We did with the help of two Bobcats get the track down cleared of trees and debris. I'm too tired to sleep now.

Why not wait until light out? I don’t understand why everyone feels nocturnal road clearing is a good idea... or why the trees feel the need to come down in the evening :he I hope the rain lets up soon for you as well!

Back
Top Bottom