Stupid boy ducks

pishposh

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
westminster, md
Our 2 Ancona males, that we hatched in January, have become so aggressive with me, that I have to carry a stick when I go outside. They chase me no matter where I am and inch my feet, legs and hands. I am the only one they do this to, they leave my husband alone. Yesterday we noticed one of the females had a swollen eye. We took her inside and have her isolated.

Does anyone have any experience with overly-amorous male ducks? Also, any tips for the swollen eye? It is swollen shut at this point and we haven't done much but rinse it.

Thanks!

Hi, sorry I can't help with the eye but I have had experience with 'excited' male ducks. We got two indian runners last April which both turned out to be drakes. Everything was fine until around late March when they started to be aggressive towards each other and started biting me (not in an aggressive way, in a lovin' way
wink.png
lol.png
) They weren't as bad with other people and mainly focused their attentions on me, it was really quite bad as I had a lot of bruises all the time (and to think, people think a duck bite won't hurt because they don't have teeth!). I think it may have been due to the fact that I have looked after them since they were 5 days old so possibly they see me as someone they want to mate with...

Anyway, we tried squirting them with water, using a duck toy for them to use and abuse and just generally trying to tell them off, but none of these things worked well enough for them to stop that behaviour. The difference (I think) between your situation and mine is that you have females already, whereas we had just the two males on their own, plus they are are a lot younger than ours were when they started this behaviour. In the end, I finally managed to persuade my parents to get 4 females which we got in early June. We're hoping that this will ease the situation next mating season, or best case scenario stop it altogether, but we'll just have to wait and see.

What's your male/female ratio? The best advice I can give at the moment is to protect yourself from their advances
lol.png
I found it hard to take a more hands-off approach during the past few months, especially since they were so friendly and calm before, but eventually I realised (with some help from my worried mum
lol.png
) that the constant bites and resulting bruises were not worth it just to carry on petting/touching them for a few months. They are both starting to moult now and have calmed down dramatically, although one has been a bit aggressive the past couple of days and we may have to deal with a second wave, but still, I'm glad they have been better the past week or so
smile.png

Hope there's something of use in that
lol.png
smile.png

My drake was being a little stinker and picking on one of the females. I started picking him up and holding him under my arm by my side for a while... he is behaving himself now. I don't know if that is it or the fact that he is molting.. but he has really calmed down. I heard that it works to pick them up and carry them and also to turn them upside down and hold them there. If he is biting you I would use a pair of gloves. Good luck... I was very angry at mine for a while - but all is well for the time being.

Last years mating season was a nightmare. but this year they have been alot nicer to the females. I have 2 Muscovy drakes and 6 females and a goose who also mates with the ducks but so far this year no injuries. Even the 2 drakes aren't fighting just staying away from each other. Maybe as they get older they settle down some.

Yes- a muzzle would be great! For now I carry a stick and wear boots!

Pico, my female with the swollen eye seems to be doing a little better. We have been rinsing it 2 x a day with warm water and this morning we were able to see that the eye ball is still there, thank goodness!

DH claims the ancona boys will settle down. I hope so. Our Welsh Harlequins and Pekin drakes are just 9 weeks old- I can't take any more of this!

Back
Top Bottom