The Clucky Coop Adventures - 2020 CHAT

We are putting the house up for sale in the spring and will be moving. I will start up with birds once we get settled in. :)

Sounds good! I'm glad you'll be getting back into poultry! :) What breeds do you want to get? BTW, my chickens are all safe and locked up for the night. I've never forgotten to lock them in, have you?

Sounds good! I'm glad you'll be getting back into poultry! :) What breeds do you want to get? BTW, my chickens are all safe and locked up for the night. I've never forgotten to lock them in, have you?

Definitely lots of Orps but I may get into some rarer breeds like Buckeyes or Cemanis.

No, I have never forgotten to lock them up at night, sounds horrifying to forget! :D

The Chicken Harness

Dogs go for walks, cats do sometimes, too. But, what about chickens?
Can you take your backyard chicken for a walk - just like a dog or a cat?
Well, why don't we find out!
The first step is to decide which chicken out of your flock you want to teach to wear a harness. Tip: It's better to only teach one at a time because then you can concentrate on only ONE chicken, which is WAY easier. Believe me. (Don't worry though, when chicken #1 masters walking on a harness, you can start with chicken #2! :))

Second step: Second step is to order a harness. You can get them off Amazon - that is where I got mine. It can be fun picking your style, color, and/or a leash to go with it. Just make sure the harness will fit the bird. They have rooster size, hen size, and I'm pretty sure they have pullet size. (Basically Large, medium, and small.) Tip: When choosing a leash, make sure you get one that is light enough. Chickens don't like lots of weight resting on their backs.

Third step: I recommend starting with your calmest chicken. Kiwi, one of my Buff Orpington's, was the calmest girl at the time so that was who I used. Make sure the chicken you choose is used to getting handled, picked up, etc. Start by placing the loop of the harness around the birds neck and letting it hang there. Start slow. Chickens are nervous around new things. This is Kiwi when she was learning:
DSCN2928.jpg

Please check out my article (and leave a review to tell what you think) to learn more about putting on the chicken harness. I'm planning on writing another to show how to take your girl for a walk on the harness. **This article is about putting it on.

Enjoy! :D

How To Use A Chicken Harness

Back
Top Bottom