My muscovies prefer being inside. I don't let Olly out, he stays in a shed size pen, his brother hangs with him while the mallard hangs with the chickens, sometimes peeking into the fence with Olly and Echo. One of my drake muscovies has been attempting to mate me... He grabs my leg and... Attempts to, I push him away and then lock him out of the coop while I grab the eggs, then he goes to mate Bella... I don't like this behavior.
I think I'd be mounting him with a touch of dominance. I'm not sure how effective that would be with Scovies though.

My muscovies prefer being inside. I don't let Olly out, he stays in a shed size pen, his brother hangs with him while the mallard hangs with the chickens, sometimes peeking into the fence with Olly and Echo. One of my drake muscovies has been attempting to mate me... He grabs my leg and... Attempts to, I push him away and then lock him out of the coop while I grab the eggs, then he goes to mate Bella... I don't like this behavior.
Time of year. You need some Muscovy females at least 3 each for your Muscovy drakes.

Now they're preening together...

It would appear to be Sandhill cranes. I just never looked it up. :oops:
View attachment 2012368
I was going to tell you it looks like a sandhill.

We have thousands of them up here during the warm months.

During fall migration they will spend 6-8 weeks grouped up in the fields. There will be tens of thousands on a 160 acre field. The noise is deafening.

They are delicious. But the PETA people only let us hunt them in a couple north western counties.

If the corn and beans are not off the fields before they come, they will harvest the fields for the farmers....

North Dakota gets even more than we do.
1A4278BD-9D8A-4EC5-82DD-A3B509CDED70.jpeg

they really are this thick.

I was going to tell you it looks like a sandhill.

We have thousands of them up here during the warm months.

During fall migration they will spend 6-8 weeks grouped up in the fields. There will be tens of thousands on a 160 acre field. The noise is deafening.

They are delicious. But the PETA people only let us hunt them in a couple north western counties.

If the corn and beans are not off the fields before they come, they will harvest the fields for the farmers....

North Dakota gets even more than we do.View attachment 2012377

they really are this thick.
Sure don't want to be standing out in the open when they fly over. yikes.

One of the places we lived was on a good size pond. If you were to fish in there, about 80% of the time this particular crane would show up. He was very bold, and if you were not fast at reeling in your catch he would steal it off your hook. If you had a fish in your hand you had to be mindful of where he was. Darn thing was not scared of people at all.

I have 2m/2f Pekin, and yes they can be pretty loud. Big Momma cam be heard about 2 blocks away when she goes on a quack attack. I don't have any major complaints, but they are nowhere near my favorite breed. I've actually tried giving them away a few times but there people haven't followed through. Would you be interested? Both m/f pair are bonded, so it would need to be in pairs. They should be 11 months old now.

I'd hate to break up the bonded pairs. I'm not going to have drakes here, I have enough trouble with roosters, haha! I'm actually leaning towards looking into runner ducks instead. That might be a better option for what I'm going for.

Back
Top Bottom