Nothing against show dogs, I like them, but they’re usually bred for totally different purposes and a lot of working and show line dogs may as well be two separate breeds
I get what you are saying, but they do show working dogs. They actually have their own competitions and so on specifically for working breeds. So getting a good working dog from a grand champ LGD line is pretty reasonable.

100% agreed!! They’re probably not even Grand Champion either haha actual reputable breeders would never act like that and also usually have homes lined up before they’re even born. So I doubt they even are haha maybe there’s champions or something wayyyyyyy back. A lot of people do that. Claim “champion lines” even if they themselves never show and the “champions” are many generations back. And I think she said they were Great Pyrenees.
That I completely agree with.

Mrs Blue is pregnant! Good thing too. I've got 3 eggs in the incubator. ;)
20200218_080741.jpg

We had a power outage this morning. Luckily not for too long, so I'm not too worried about the eggs in the incubator.

A couple days ago I had a ko shamo egg in one of my pens from my pair. I left it in that night feeling lazy and not wanting to grab it. Went back the next day and poof, it's gone. All I can figure is that they broke it somehow and then ate it. That'll teach me not to collect the eggs right away.

So there was this guy in my livestock facebook group that posted a couple of 6 month old great pyrenees LGD pups for sale. Apparently they are from grand champion parents, great working dogs, training with sheep, goats and poultry currently. So I message the guy and explain what I'm looking for in a livestock guardian. He basically tells me that since I'm only looking to protect some poultry and a few goats, I probably couldn't afford his "Grand Champion" dogs. I never mentioned what my budget was, nor did I bring up anything money related at all. He told me nothing about the dogs and didn't answer any of my questions. That's probably why he still has several dogs needing homes at 6 months old. 😒

I told my husband I'm going to buy a puppy from whatever dog last outranked his dog in the show ring, hire a handler and have my dog win more awards than his, just out of spite. 😂

I could go into what I WANTED to say to this guy, but I'm only confrontational in my own mind, so I told him that I actually had an unlimited budget for the right dog, and thanked him for his time.

Also, in my line of work, and probably most others, NEVER assume what someone else values or has to spend. It'll bite you in the butt.

That makes me wonder what he was asking for them. Probably way too much. Likely another reason he still has them.

I love you're level of "what'd you say I can't do?!"
Absolutely love it. You had me at buying 10 acres to spite the hoa.

What a schmuck way to act. Okay, take pride in your grand champ line. Be picky where they go, sure. Presuming someone's budget based on their livestock, dumb as an inbreed swamp donkey.

What breed did they have?

Haha! Seriously I'm just a spiteful person, I think. Literally the best way to get me to do/buy/prove something is to tell me that I can't or shouldn't. Probably a personal flaw, but whatever, lol.

I work in a predominantly male industry, so I'm used to getting the "you don't know what's going on" mentality, but it was just so rude that I couldn't even continue the conversation. He back tracked a bit and said he didn't mean to offend me, but that he was getting so many inquiries from people that weren't prepared to purchase a top quality dog. Which I get, there are tons of tire kickers out there. Putting a price range in an automated or pre-written general response would weed out 99% of those people. But on the other hand, if you're not educating people or willing to take anyone seriously, why sell them?

Part of me wants to know how much these prized dogs were, but the other part doesn't want to humor him with a response.

I get what you are saying, but they do show working dogs. They actually have their own competitions and so on specifically for working breeds. So getting a good working dog from a grand champ LGD line is pretty reasonable.

I know they have like sheep trials and stuff for herding breeds but didn’t realize they had a similar thing for LGDs/working dogs? If so that’s awesome. I guess I was thinking grand champion in like conformation :oops:

Back
Top Bottom