My Polish does fine free-ranging. I check his mop-top regularly to make sure he can see properly and if the feathers grow too long, I'll just trim them back a bit. Same with the Silkies.

I'm like you, Lydia, I want my peeps to get along and be gentle, especially with an 8 year old boy running around!

So your bantam Cochin free-range? I'd like to do that with ours, but I'm afraid the ducks would pick on them. Or the roosters. Right now, they're in a small coop with small run (two hens and one rooster, plus the hen in my trailer). They're still very young though, around 2 months.

Did you ever get them back Bob? That is why I don't want mine going to the river which is only 75 yards from us . The current would have them down stream in no time. Plus just getting there going through the woods isn't something I like to think of.
No, they never came home.

My Polish does fine free-ranging. I check his mop-top regularly to make sure he can see properly and if the feathers grow too long, I'll just trim them back a bit. Same with the Silkies.

I'm like you, Lydia, I want my peeps to get along and be gentle, especially with an 8 year old boy running around!

So your bantam Cochin free-range? I'd like to do that with ours, but I'm afraid the ducks would pick on them. Or the roosters. Right now, they're in a small coop with small run (two hens and one rooster, plus the hen in my trailer). They're still very young though, around 2 months.
My cochin bantams were all hatched here my OEGB were hatched here I think that makes the difference when integrating having a mama hen raise them into the flock. Actually I have seen my cochin bantams nip at a LF hen and make her back off. I only have hens in the breed. The roosters went to poultry heaven they about killed my little OEGB rooster.
Yes all my birds free range inside of fencing.

Ok day 78 no rain. Small disaster today. Water line to the cow trough broke and I didn't notice for hours. Pumped about 30000 gallons out of my well into the pasture. Then had to hand carry water to the cows. Their stock tank, pond to you non Texans is green. So they needs some fresh water. No rain in the 10 day forcast.

Back
Top Bottom