Turkey egg pipped 30 hours ago.. No progress

vtpoultrymama

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
Vermont
I have 9 eggs in my incubator, today is day 27. All eggs are pipped, the first one pipped yesterday at 4pm and the rest pipped today. One baby hatched at 1pm today, other than that, no others yet. I'm concerned for the one that hatched so long ago. Should I do anything? Temp in incubator is 98-99 and humidity is low 70s.

I have 9 eggs in my incubator, today is day 27. All eggs are pipped, the first one pipped yesterday at 4pm and the rest pipped today. One baby hatched at 1pm today, other than that, no others yet. I'm concerned for the one that hatched so long ago. Should I do anything? Temp in incubator is 98-99 and humidity is low 70s.
What one hatched so long ago? What one is not making progress? Can you take pics?

Turkeys need higher humdity
https://www.porterturkeys.com/egghatchingtips.htm
Screenshot_20200723-211916.png

What one hatched so long ago? What one is not making progress? Can you take pics?
The one that pipped 30 hours ago, is the one I'm worried about. It has made no progress since it's little pip yesterday at 4pm. Is this normal for a turkey to take this long?

If she's been at it for so long after pipping, then she's probably already shrink wrapped (you can add humidity, but at this point it really wont change things). Even in a well humidified incubator, having air being exposed to the membrane for so long will still get her stuck. Is she still alive and peeping? And did she pip at the wrong end? If she didn't then you might have to do an assisted hatch. This post has amazing instructions for it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

At this point, is it too risky to open and add water? The woman I got the eggs from, who hatches and raises them, said 70s is perfect.
Do you have a second meter in the incubator to check humdity? Sometimes the ones that come with the incubator aren't accurate.

At first I put a tube down the vent with a funnel to add water.
I have since got a long blunt syringe

If she's been at it for so long after pipping, then she's probably already shrink wrapped (you can add humidity, but at this point it really wont change things). Even in a well humidified incubator, having air being exposed to the membrane for so long will still get her stuck. Is she still alive and peeping? And did she pip at the wrong end? If she didn't then you might have to do an assisted hatch. This post has amazing instructions for it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/
This is true

Do you have a second meter in the incubator to check humdity? Sometimes the ones that come with the incubator aren't accurate.

At first I put a tube down the vent with a funnel to add water.
I have since got a long blunt syringe
I have two readings in there. One says 74% and one says 78% right now

Back
Top Bottom