What did you do in the garden today?

Since we are talking about what's left still from last year's garden, I have at least 10 pumpkins (pie size) in the pantry still. They are not rotting. They have lasted since October. I've cooked a few. We like them, but pumpkin just doesn't fit into the menu regularly. I might just have to bake a bunch of pies and freeze them for later use or give to family and friends.
We make a savory pumpkin stew with pie pumpkins. Whenever spouse gets the pick of what is in the freezer, out comes the pumpkin stew. Pies are absolutely delicious, too.

Seriously...I don’t check this thread for 2 days and I’m 11 pages behind!

Snow still on the ground, but melting. Weather has been pretty nice (for Feb in western Ohio).

baby chicks are now 9 days old and will be evicted today from the spare bedroom. I can tolerate them inside for 4-5 days, so they have overstayed their welcome. But with cold weather before now and other things going on, they have remained in the spare bedroom. Cute though. The EE looked so similar when covered in fluff, but the wing feather colors are showing some variation.

No outdoor gardening today. It’s been raining all night and will probably continue until tomorrow. The forecast called for 1/2 inch of rain but were already at 3/4. The garden is a lake and the bachelor pen has a creek. We did need some rain though and it filled up my water buckets. I think I’m going to start the tomatoes today since I can’t do anything else and it’s only a few days early.

I'm thinking about moving the garlic to a table in the sunroom. The sunroom is on the Northside of our house though so much of the sunlight is indirect. I could place them near the east windows to utilize the morning sun and then they would have indirect light throughout the day. Thoughts on this?
Also, the sunroom is heated with an open flame has heater (sort of like a gas fireplace), so it's around 60-65 in there but the air is dry.

Good morning all. I was checking on my garden plan yesterday and doing some moving around when I realized I really need to get some seeds going soon. I stopped by my favorite discount store and picked up some trays, starter mix and more flower seeds. I'm pretty sure I have enough peat pots. I bought a bunch of 4 inch pots a while ago so I don't have to worry about repotting seedlings. I use my sunroom to start my seeds @BReeder! There are windows facing South, East & North with 2 ceiling skylights. I also have my pellet stove in there so the room is usually comfortable. It does get dry in there, however I have a humidifier running 24/7 and keep the humidity around 40%. I would like to get some strawberry pots this year but I'm not quite sure where to put them. DD wants me to grow more okra this year so that's another pot for the front yard. I still have nearly a cup of frozen slices left. It's really great as a gluten free thickener for soups as well as adding a nice flavor. I just think of pumpkin as squash and beef and squash are very tasty together @Sueby. Gotta run to the feed store now. Will try to get the sunroom organized this weekend.

honestly in May and June, IL may be a lot more appealing than GA. :p
I know this is petty and awful BUT a neighbor was doing her walking while I was raking leaves and stopped to talk. She said she had a yardman to weed and rake for her. I could not help it, but I felt just a little smug thinking I do all that myself. I don't know. I understand if you have health issues, but apparently this lady doesn't. Seems to me, that if the yard man is the one with intimate knowledge of each bed, each flower, bush and tree, is the yard and garden truly yours or his - spiritually speaking. Anyway, I just need to try to be a better person.

Back
Top Bottom