What did you do in the garden today?

turning one bed today--currently there is oat fodder in it which is near it's end. Gonna prep it for some garlic I think. I still have some green tomatoes that I am hoping turn a bit here in the next couple days when it is 60 and 70 before our highs are in the 40s and 50s next week. Trimming down the oregano for drying and picking the last of the habaneros today.

Hey brussel sprout growers! Was this a really bad year for sprouts? I always buy sprouts in bundles at the store, but this year had to toss roughly half of each bundle due to bugs and other damage. Finally broke down and paid more for the already prepped containers so I could actually get the full quantity of what I'm paying for, and even then I had to toss a couple.
We did get a lot of them this year but yes more bugs and damage than normal here. I feel once I stripped the outside leaves and cut the bad out there was about half gone :(

Siding guys showed up.
Made that Washington cake.
It's 100% banana bread, without the nuts or bananas. The recipe made a HUGE batch. I had 5 quarts of batter. LOL.
It's good and it will freeze well, so yay for DH and DS.
Made brownies, coffee, for the siding guys for snack.
Sausage egg and cheese salsa burrtios for lunch, and I'll take them some of this cake and coffee later this afternoon.
Searching for horehound seeds. Think it'll be rare seeds again.
Frost coming tonight, finally. I'd love it if it would kill the darn FLIES. They're EVERYWHERE>

I pulled up the rest of the tomato plants. I need to get a giant pot to try to over winter a habanero plant for DH. There are two, and they are flat out loaded with peppers that are a brilliant orange. I need to pick them and freeze them, I guess. We haven't ever used up the peppers we've frozen. I wish they'd get ready in July instead of September.

Purchased a 5th printing of a cookbook that was originally done in 1850s. It's got some great herbal stuff in there and some great recipes. I need to figure out the yeast thing. They use liquid hops yeast by the half and full teacup full. I use dried. I know there has to be a conversion out there, I just need to take two seconds and look it up.
I think I'm going to make a Washington cake this afternoon.
I bet a brewer's yeast bloomed on warm water would work as a replacement. Not sure on the measures though.

Back
Top Bottom