What did you do in the garden today?

Shop and shop bathroom are clean and ready for the shearing team tomorrow. The only thing left on the BIG list is to rake the barn later when the wind starts to blow, which will pull the dust out while I work.
I had the law irrigation on for the chicken yard while I worked, and caught on video our female hummingbird playing in them. Adorable.
Brownies for the team still to bake, tomatoes need watered Tomorrow night I'll pull the ones I want for my garden out of the sale stuff, and put the sale stuff up in the main garage for Friday morning.
I can't wait to get to this time of year and can't wait for it to pass.

Question in regards to carrots... This is my first year trying to grow them in a container. I can't remember which variety I planted in this particular pot - either Purple Dragon (likely) or St Valery. Anyway, I noticed that some of the carrot greens are turning reddish-purple. Is this normal or a sign of disease? I can't take a recent picture until Friday... Here's one I took a week or so ago. You can see the ONE green hanging over the side that's starting to change color. Looks normal otherwise (not wilted or dying). Since this picture was taken, about 10% of the greens in that corner of the pot have changed color. Just wondering if I need to do something.... I can take a picture when I'm home on Friday.

View attachment 3516810
I think it is purple Dragon causing the foliage to change color. Purple carrots = some color in foliage.

2 hours, three stores and 50 miles later I found my squash seeds. Burpee Butterbush, a bush variety of butternut squash. And they're an heirloom breed, so I can save the seeds.

I was concerned with cross pollination between the butternut and zucchini squash, but from this article, it's not possible.

https://extension.sdstate.edu/saving-seed-pumpkins-squash-cucumbers-melons-and-gourds

An excerpt from the article:

Plants from within the following groups will cross with each other:

• Zucchini, Yellow Crookneck, Acorn, Spaghetti, Patty Pan, Delicata, Pumpkins and Gourds (except edible snake gourds) all may cross with each other.
  • Butternut, Buttercup, Banana, Hubbard and Turban squashes may cross with each other.
  • Muskmelon, Cantaloupe, Charentais; Honeydew; Casaba; Armenian Cucumber; Snake melon (gourd) can all cross with each other, but not with squashes, pumpkins, or cucumbers.
  • The Buffalo gourd, a weed, is too distantly related to cultivated species to be a problem.
Cucumbers, watermelon, and Loofah gourds only cross only with themselves, so you don’t have to worry about isolating them unless you are growing several varieties of the same type.

I'm going to direct plants them, but scarify and soak the seeds first. I'll lay some black landscape fabric over the planted seeds to help warm the soil.

Finished the weed whacking before lunch. Just resting. I did put new flowers in the two containers in my backyard. Snapdragons and petunias. A word of caution from my own experience growing summer squash and butternut squash in the same bed. The butternut squash was not producing very well. It finally produced a few very small gourds after I removed the summer squash plants @Smokerbill. Hopefully you’ll have a better experience.

Finished the weed whacking before lunch. Just resting. I did put new flowers in the two containers in my backyard. Snapdragons and petunias. A word of caution from my own experience growing summer squash and butternut squash in the same bed. The butternut squash was not producing very well. It finally produced a few very small gourds after I removed the summer squash plants @Smokerbill. Hopefully you’ll have a better experience.
Thanks! They are in different beds, maybe 20 feet apart.

Planted some more stuff today. Eggplants, kohlrabi, tomatoes, marigolds, snapdragons, bush cucumbers, nasturtium seeds. I think thats it. Still need to plant more tomatoes, peppers and a couple other things I have seeds for.
im also working on my half-whiskey-barrel-wanna-be pond. Hmm, apparently i dont have a picture. Will have to post one later.
i had planted some flowers over the weekend and started redoing the rose areas. Thats going to take a while.

Been eating chard and bok choy sauteed together using beef tallow witg garlic, onion, salt and pepper the last two days. It's a good side dish- like southern greens. I like to cook it fast so the leaves still have a little chew and are not complete mush.
We had salad the other day with lettuce from the garden too. Need to eat more of that.

Got 6 hills of butterbush squash planted and watered in. It's 70 degrees now, and supposed to get up to 80 for the next two days, so that should kick the seeds into action.

My body aches too. much to bend over and plant beans or put up trellises. Garden work is done for the day.

I decided that I'm going to go ahead and mow down most of the yard I was going to let go wild. I think would end up being pretty messy, with tall grass falling over and stuff. There's a 10 acre pasture right behind my house that's got plenty of space for pollinators anyway.

And I like to mow, too!

Back
Top Bottom