Well, actually I do want them to eat the plants, but only when I allow. My garden is fenced in well, and will be even better this year with rebuilding the garden fence as part of the garden expansion. I want to be able to supplement the poultry feed with garden goods. I off course want to take the primary share of the fruits of my labor, but want to be able to give the birds some too.
what about some clover for a cover crop? Doesn't grow high, chickens like it, and you can just till it in with your soil amendment in the spring.

I was reading the featured forum on bamboo the other day. It certainly is interesting. The shoots seem to be the ideal part to feed them. The leaves are much appreciated by the birds and the poles are useful around the garden and chicken run for all sorts of things. You could even make bio-char out of bamboo poles.
That's what gave me the idea actually. Then I checked to see if I can grow it here and apparently it's possible. There's a clumping variety that gets quite tall and can block a wall and some unattractive things in my neighbors yard. Win win!

That's what gave me the idea actually. Then I checked to see if I can grow it here and apparently it's possible. There's a clumping variety that gets quite tall and can block a wall and some unattractive things in my neighbors yard. Win win!
I have an unattractive area as well, but it gets hardly any sunlight at all. I imagine bamboo is used to shade. Perhaps I'll see if there's any that will thrive in the shade in zone 5. I was thinking of planting low level plants there, but bamboo would be attractive.

We currently have chickens (8), turkeys (2), ducks (4) and quail (lots!). Although it's the dead of winter here in Illinois this time of year, Spring is not very far off. We will be prepping the garden in late March and starting to plant in mid/late April. We like to grow all sorts of vegetables, leafy greens and herbs. If I can keep the weeds down this year, we could be eating form the garden from late Summer to the start of winter, and possible longer if we have a surplus to can or freeze for the winter months. After all, our garden is ~1000 sqft (and I may decide to move the fence and till over more soil this year...). While the garden will hopefully feed us well, we'd like it to also supplement the feed for our poultry friends this year. What should we plant in the garden that chickens can eat?

So far here's the list of likely plants for the garden this year [and my thoughts on whether or not each is chicken friendly]:

Root vegetables:
- potatoes (2-3 varieties) [not for chickens]
- carrots [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]

Vegetables
- tomatoes (3-4 varieties) [not for chickens] I know they're fruit...
- hot peppers (2-3 varieties) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- sweet peppers [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- sweet corn [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- pumpkins [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- zucchini [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- yellow squash [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- cucumbers (pickle and salad varieties) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- winter squash (mixed variety) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- cauliflower [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]

Leafy Greens and Herbs
- lettuce (2-3 varieties) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- spinach [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- kale [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- parsley [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- oregano [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- basil [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- thyme [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- rosemary [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- dill [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]

Most of what we intend to plant is safe for the chickens to eat. I'm wonder though, what plants are beneficial and should be added? It wouldn't hurt to have healthier, happier chickens. Please share your thoughts and opinions.
Thank you so much for telling me about this thread! You all are my people! I’ll share my chicken garden list soon.

The plan... I am planting a small chicken garden along the south side of their run. I do have small ‘family’ raised-ish beds separate from the chicken area... it’ll be interesting to see how far the chicks venture so I may need to protect those beds... but the run-garden is chicken specific.
In that garden I’ll grow chicken-friendly/edible plants to help cast shade, like St Croix grapes, sunflowers, Lions Ear (which is tall and in the mint family) and climbing nasturtiums.
The rest is herbal: chamomile, calendula, basil, marigolds, mint, marjoram, dill... I love to garden so planning this keeps me going during the cold months 🤓. I love seeing what you guys are planting!

The plan... I am planting a small chicken garden along the south side of their run. I do have small ‘family’ raised-ish beds separate from the chicken area... it’ll be interesting to see how far the chicks venture so I may need to protect those beds... but the run-garden is chicken specific.
In that garden I’ll grow chicken-friendly/edible plants to help cast shade, like St Croix grapes, sunflowers, Lions Ear (which is tall and in the mint family) and climbing nasturtiums.
The rest is herbal: chamomile, calendula, basil, marigolds, mint, marjoram, dill... I love to garden so planning this keeps me going during the cold months 🤓. I love seeing what you guys are planting!
Try some lemon balm in there with those herbs. Goes really nice with the chamomile for your tea, and my chickens love it too.

We currently have chickens (8), turkeys (2), ducks (4) and quail (lots!). Although it's the dead of winter here in Illinois this time of year, Spring is not very far off. We will be prepping the garden in late March and starting to plant in mid/late April. We like to grow all sorts of vegetables, leafy greens and herbs. If I can keep the weeds down this year, we could be eating form the garden from late Summer to the start of winter, and possible longer if we have a surplus to can or freeze for the winter months. After all, our garden is ~1000 sqft (and I may decide to move the fence and till over more soil this year...). While the garden will hopefully feed us well, we'd like it to also supplement the feed for our poultry friends this year. What should we plant in the garden that chickens can eat?

So far here's the list of likely plants for the garden this year [and my thoughts on whether or not each is chicken friendly]:

Root vegetables:
- potatoes (2-3 varieties) [not for chickens]
- carrots [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]

Vegetables
- tomatoes (3-4 varieties) [not for chickens] I know they're fruit...
- hot peppers (2-3 varieties) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- sweet peppers [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- sweet corn [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- pumpkins [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- zucchini [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- yellow squash [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- cucumbers (pickle and salad varieties) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- winter squash (mixed variety) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- cauliflower [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]

Leafy Greens and Herbs
- lettuce (2-3 varieties) [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- spinach [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- kale [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- parsley [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- oregano [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- basil [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- thyme [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- rosemary [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]
- dill [CHICKEN FRIENDLY]

Most of what we intend to plant is safe for the chickens to eat. I'm wonder though, what plants are beneficial and should be added? It wouldn't hurt to have healthier, happier chickens. Please share your thoughts and opinions.
Thats a very informative list. All I need to do is plant them and I think I'm good to go. hahaha

I just ordered some seed from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds hee hee. Thanks for the suggestion
And Cyndie, I cannot believe I forgot to mention blueberries! I grow compact blueberry bushes (Top Hat and Sunshine Blue to be specific) in pots alongside my house. Pots , because it's easier to keep the soil acidic by just tossing my used coffee grounds on top of the soil every so often. 6 pots of blueberries produce enough jams and pies for us for a year, plus I put gallon bags of blueberries in the freezer to dole out a handful of berries for the chickens all year long. I get tired of harvesting them long before the berries have stopped coming, so usually let the girls (chickens) glean the rest. If you ever wondered how high a chicken can jump, let em at a blueberry bush. I've seen my cochin jump 3 feet straight up to get that last blueberry up top. Think they like them more than meal worms!

And Cyndie, I cannot believe I forgot to mention blueberries! I grow compact blueberry bushes (Top Hat and Sunshine Blue to be specific) in pots alongside my house. Pots , because it's easier to keep the soil acidic by just tossing my used coffee grounds on top of the soil every so often. 6 pots of blueberries produce enough jams and pies for us for a year, plus I put gallon bags of blueberries in the freezer to dole out a handful of berries for the chickens all year long. I get tired of harvesting them long before the berries have stopped coming, so usually let the girls (chickens) glean the rest. If you ever wondered how high a chicken can jump, let em at a blueberry bush. I've seen my cochin jump 3 feet straight up to get that last blueberry up top. Think they like them more than meal worms!
Oh my gosh... I have two blueberries coming from Jungs and I was worried about keeping them happy. I LOVE the pot idea!

Back
Top Bottom