Yet Another Hatch-a-long (December 2023)

Pics

DovesFlock

Songster
Aug 31, 2023
I just a got an incubator and with the new additions to the flock and a new layer I ended up collecting 31 eggs.

(The incubator can hold up to 41 for future reference)

That being said it’s time to pick an egg!

Here’s how it’ll work:

- I will give the numbers that’s on each egg.

- I will give the layer of the egg’s name or breed (depending on if I know the exact chicken to lay)

- I will give possible father(s) if they can be identified. (I have/had a couple different roosters.)

- I will add a comment with pictures of all viable candidates for eggs(mothers and fathers) so you can see what the

- I will add a picture of the incubator for reference. (Incase you’re curious)

- I will update everytime there is something to update.

- If your number hatches, you get to name it! If your number doesn’t make it, no worries if there is still some left you may pick another one!

**I normally put date that it was laid but seeing as they were all put in on the same day (today) there is no real need. And some of the dates are not recorded.). I will be sure to add it for the next batch.

This is Batch 1
|
|
|
|
|
V

IMG_3052.jpeg
The Incubator is a slightly used model 4250 pro series. It can hold a total of 41 eggs. It can incubate more than just chicken eggs but for this hatch we only have chicken eggs.

It does have an automatic egg turner that should turn 1 every 3-4 hours (a good 6 cycles).

If you have any more questions about it, don’t hesitate to ask!

(A little update to go with the pictures.)
We actually had 32 eggs!!
However due to the long wait for an incubator and my other is no longer usable, we ended up with only 3 viable eggs.

Key note: *anything in the asterisk is to let you know possible chick colors incase you’re not familiar with how coloring works in breeding.*

The 3 eggs are that of Arcus! My Blue Rock.

IMG_3362.jpeg

(Arcus. A sweet girl and probably a sweet mom due to her calm temperament. Her name is after the Arcus cloud. It’s very pretty like her.)

And at the time I had a total of 6 roosters.

Here are the viable fathers (in order of most likely to least likely) (due to pecking order)
IMG_3370.jpeg

(Russel Crow. A true gentleman and head roo. Also a mommas boy. He’s teaching the younger roos to be gentleman. I believe him and Roscoe are good friends.)

*If they had a baby it’ll be black*

IMG_3372.jpeg

(Jerry. He’s kinda a butthead and like to occasionally size me up from behind but always quickly gets run off from Russel.
He is tied with Roscoe for second in command but is the only one to really be bothered by Russel.)

*if they have a baby it’ll be black*

IMG_3368.jpeg

(Roscoe. A sweet boy and very bulky and cuddly. He’s tied with Jerry for second in command and he’s a very good gentleman. Head learning well from Russel. Plus look how beautiful that comb is. Always love a rose comb.)

*If they have a baby it’ll be barred and possibly have a rose comb.*

IMG_3369.jpeg

(Larry. A quiet man. I haven’t seen him act like a gentleman I also haven’t seen him be a butthead. But he’s pretty sweet. He sticks to himself for the most part other than hanging with MeepMeep and doesn’t really do much. He’s third in command.

*If they have a baby it’ll be barred*

IMG_3371.jpeg

(MeepMeep. Like the roadrunner. He’s the fastest chicken I have and he loves to show it off. He runs around everywhere. Never walks. He’s timid and usually off in the background following his best friend Larry around. He has a little thing of skin over his eye. It’s not genetic, another chicken pecked his eye when he was younger. He’s 4th in command and I don’t think I’ve ever seen him attempt to court a chicken.)

*If they have a baby it’ll be barred.*

And lastly

(Roo. I don’t have a picture of him but I believe he was a white rock. At the very least a white rooster. I got him and 8 other hens (7 comets and 1 welsummer) from a neighbor. He was the only roo and had the other eggs survived he would have been the highest candidate for father of most of those eggs. He sadly was attacked shortly after Arcus stopped laying for the winter, he didn’t make it. He will be greatly missed. He was last in command and was often picked on by Jerry. I know he mated with the comets and welsummer I’m not sure if he did with Arcus but he had a chance to.)

*If they have a baby it’ll be grey/blue*

*Update*

Seeing as I haven’t said we are on Day 12 of incubation and the eggs look great and are developing nicely.

I’ll update when I check again around day 15, then day 17, and then they will not be checked after that unless they go past 24 days and haven’t hatched. Feathers crossed we get them all to lockdown!

Back
Top Bottom