Yippie/ spur of the moment adoption!!!#Photo finally of my new silkie

FortWorthChicks

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Fort Worth
So I went down to my local organic nursery to get some dirt. I was hoping they had some cheap sand but they didn't. When I explained the reason for wanting the cheap sandy stuff the guy perked up... "So you have some chickens?, do you have a roo?"

I said no and I really dont want one. This nursery keeps chickens free roaming throughout the place and he said they had a silky roo thats been pecked at alot. Awwww...

Last time I told my hubby I was going to get one chicken and came home with five. This time I went for dirt and came home with the sweetist roo I have ever held! I cant wait to think of a name for his fluffy self!

The hens are all bigger than him which makes me happy because I would hate them to suffer.

Last edited:
Way to go!!! SAVE THE CHICKENS
yippiechickie.gif

:eek: I didn't, These people take really good care of their chickens, providing hen keeping classes for the local area and I trust that he is healthy as can be. So I trusted them when they advised me that it would be fine to add him in today with my flock.

OH I PRAY!!!!!!!!!! he was right because at this point its too late.!!

I will tell yall I already love him so much haha. I am such a sucker I swear once he was in my arms there was no turning back. lol And I am so glad my husband is so tolerant of my bringing home pets.

I would like to see a picture!

I didn't quarantine mine because I said, what's the point if I'm going to be showing them anyways??

Mine aren't kept together, they free range though...

A woman gave me 2 polish bantam hens that were getting beat up by her rooster. When she checked them they were infested with lice. She treated them once. I quarantined them and treated them for lice twice. My birds don't have lice and I hope to avoid them in the future. Quarantining also gave them a chance to feather back up and fatten up before I introduced them. Now I get a cute little white egg just about every day.

Last edited:
Thanks for the lice advise! As it happened the reason I went for the sandy dirt was to mix some ashes and some (DE) Could have that wrong but im sure you know what I mean.. so today was the old making sure everything is clean and that included putting a little in the dirt as well as in the fresh coop shavings.

I do wonder if I have to put it on them directly or if they will just dust it on themselves like they normally do with their dirt baths as I have not ever treated for parasites before now
hmm.png
I just kindof made them natural dirt baths without the DE. I think they should enjoy it just as much as normal .... at least I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom