2nd lash egg, now what?

Nina Bee

Chirping
Aug 27, 2016
This is the 2nd lash egg my 2.5 year old Orpington produced over the last 5 days. She wasn't well during this period of time. Very inactive, pulsating/inflamed vent. She laid this one overnight and today she's 100% back to her normal self. Does this mean she's out of danger? I'm going to pick up some vitamins/electrolytes today to help boost her immune system. I've also been giving her calcium everyday for the last 5 days and will continue to do so for the remainder of her life. I wasn't giving her any all this time. Didn't know any better until I was researching her health issues. Is there hope for her?
IMG_2350.JPG IMG_2351.JPG

This is the 2nd lash egg my 2.5 year old Orpington produced over the last 5 days. She wasn't well during this period of time. Very inactive, pulsating/inflamed vent. She laid this one overnight and today she's 100% back to her normal self. Does this mean she's out of danger? I'm going to pick up some vitamins/electrolytes today to help boost her immune system. I've also been giving her calcium everyday for the last 5 days and will continue to do so for the remainder of her life. I wasn't giving her any all this time. Didn't know any better until I was researching her health issues. Is there hope for her?
View attachment 1544404 View attachment 1544405
Lash egg has nothing to do with calcium. It's my understanding that it is an infection inside the hens reproductive track.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

To me prognosis is not good and I will cull a hen before letting her decline once I see these. Not sure if treatment with antibiotics will help long term or not... but that may be an option for you.

I would SKIP the electrolytes... as those can be overdosed. Poultry nutri drench for vitamin supplement is my preference... and I will do other things like plain yogurt, buttermilk, ferment my feed or RAW apple cider vinegar in water to add some probiotic support.

What is your standard feed... too much calcium in a non layer *can* cause gout or kidney failure.

:fl

If you want to try to save her I would recommend a vet visit for this if possible. They can determine how advanced it is and if treatment would be justified. Salpingitis has to be caught early or it usually doesn't respond to treatment. A vet would be able to recommend the antibiotic that would have the best chance of working. Most of the time once you see symptoms, or lash eggs, it's already progressed pretty far, they hide it very well. I have tried several times with several antibiotics and have not had one recover from this yet. But I have heard of people who say theirs have.

I took her to a vet on Monday. She had very little knowledge of chickens. The vet had never heard of lash eggs or salpingitis. I suggested an antibiotic, she said to wait because they can be very hard on the chicken's stomach. Was that a bad decision on the vet's part? I can call them and request that they fill a prescription for me. Anyone know what type of antibiotic would be prescribed? Or if there are blood tests to diagnose salpingitis? Btw, I do not cull and would have her euthanized of she gets worse. She's like a dog to me.

You could try an antibiotic to see if that helps.
Sadly, once they are passing lash material the inflammation can be quite advanced.
Let's see what @casportpony says, but I would think you would need something like Baytril. That may fight the infection for a while, but usually the oviducts become impacted and cause further problems.

What antibiotic should I ask for? Just read online that Baytril is illegal to give to poultry in the U.S. Is that true? Is there something else in case my vet refuses to give Baytril? Just not finding the right answers online. I don't get it. People have been raising chickens for forever. How is it there's hardly any information on them out there? Even my vet is clueless. So frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom