Advice on Clipping Duck Wings?

CLovesDucks

Smitten with Ducks
Dec 25, 2018
Wake Forest, NC
Hi BYC friends!

I’ve watched a few videos on clipping my ducks’ wings but I wanted to check in for any tips and tricks from my friends here first.

I only plan to clip the Mallard wings because it is my understanding that my fawn and white runners aren’t able to fly.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi - I have F&W Runners, too...and a Mallard. The Runners don't fly - just run like the wind, which I'm sure you've noticed. :D

I routinely clipped my Muscovies' wings because both sexes could fly, and that's quite an undertaking - it will be easier with your Mallard. Did you already see the tutorial in this thread?

I think it's best to have two people do it: one to hold and one to clip. Your duck will be unhappy, but she'll get over it. And will need another clipping after she molts.

Hi - I have F&W Runners, too...and a Mallard. The Runners don't fly - just run like the wind, which I'm sure you've noticed. :D

I routinely clipped my Muscovies' wings because both sexes could fly, and that's quite an undertaking - it will be easier with your Mallard. Did you already see the tutorial in this thread?

I think it's best to have two people do it: one to hold and one to clip. Your duck will be unhappy, but she'll get over it. And will need another clipping after she molts.

Thank you! And yes, haha! The runners are little maniacs! They love screaming “duck murderer” if I move too quickly. I’m like “you do remember who incubated you into this world, right?”

That’s a helpful tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing!

21F076D6-228A-4E91-AD3E-AEFB1CE97FFA.jpeg

A couple of the ducks saying “thanks for helping our Mom!” @FoodFreedomNow :) happy Easter!

My mallards are pretty jumpy, and I've always been able to clip by myself. Best way I've found is to sit them in my lap, use my left forearm to kind of hold them there, and use my left hand to fan out a wing. I clip the 4th, 5th, maybe 6th feathers back, just part way up, and only on one side. It's over before you (and they) know it! lol
Doing it that way lets their wings still look nice when they're just walking around since the first few feathers are untouched, and they can still get off the ground a little ways, just not enough to get into trouble.

My mallards are pretty jumpy, and I've always been able to clip by myself. Best way I've found is to sit them in my lap, use my left forearm to kind of hold them there, and use my left hand to fan out a wing. I clip the 4th, 5th, maybe 6th feathers back, just part way up, and only on one side. It's over before you (and they) know it! lol
Doing it that way lets their wings still look nice when they're just walking around since the first few feathers are untouched, and they can still get off the ground a little ways, just not enough to get into trouble.

Thanks for the advice! :) They did really well with their first trim. I was nervous but they were very calm and let me do it!

Back
Top Bottom