I just called because I was anxious, customer service said my ship date is 5/1 yay. She said it takes 1-3 days to arrive. @Coachjenelle did they send you a tracking number that gave you an estimate date they will arrive? I want to make plans for work.

I just called because I was anxious, customer service said my ship date is 5/1 yay. She said it takes 1-3 days to arrive. @Coachjenelle did they send you a tracking number that gave you an estimate date they will arrive? I want to make plans for work.
Yes I got a tracking number when they shipped! It wasn’t super helpful though as the usps doesn’t scan or update often. At least I had a rough idea though of when my babies might get here. I was very impressed with cackle, they sent 1 extra of each color I ordered. Wasn’t expecting that.

Yes I got a tracking number when they shipped! It wasn’t super helpful though as the usps doesn’t scan or update often. At least I had a rough idea though of when my babies might get here. I was very impressed with cackle, they sent 1 extra of each color I ordered. Wasn’t expecting that.
Also they shipped Monday night and got here Wednesday at 10:00 am. I live in Oregon if that’s helpful for reference.

We ordered 10 splash 10 blue and got extras including a black. Only 3 or 4 have nice afros the others were lacking but they still might grow in. We had several with only 4 toes but most have 5. Most look like walnut combs but 1 or 2 look suspicious. But they all are thriving and have a lot of personality. I recommend anyone wanting some descent healthy backyard silkies to order form cackle.

@ChickenLeg "The sleeping fox catches no poultry" Ya know I have been trying to tell my roosters that but they just don't get it.

I feel like such a neophyte Got my Bantam babies including 5 (actually got 6) black Silkies from Cackle Yesterday. Beyond having nice big poofy heads and being very active and healthy appearing I couldn't tell you if there are 6 toes on em all. or if they have black black skin or blue black skin or lighter. I don't have specific showing planned or anything so I guess I stop looking too hard after I see healthy and active. Hope all mine do well. I do have breeding plans and hopes for them. And I will probably show a few of my babies at one point or another so really show quality would be nice. But for the most part they will make me endless hours of enjoyment even the toiling hours are enjoyable when it is a labor of love.

@ChickenLeg "The sleeping fox catches no poultry" Ya know I have been trying to tell my roosters that but they just don't get it.

I feel like such a neophyte Got my Bantam babies including 5 (actually got 6) black Silkies from Cackle Yesterday. Beyond having nice big poofy heads and being very active and healthy appearing I couldn't tell you if there are 6 toes on em all. or if they have black black skin or blue black skin or lighter. I don't have specific showing planned or anything so I guess I stop looking too hard after I see healthy and active. Hope all mine do well. I do have breeding plans and hopes for them. And I will probably show a few of my babies at one point or another so really show quality would be nice. But for the most part they will make me endless hours of enjoyment even the toiling hours are enjoyable when it is a labor of love.
Same here we rarely show poultry, cackle silkies work great for our backyard flock. Best of luck with your babies!

So my crele were 10/12 female..

just counted my dominique bantams...
and out of the 17 or 18 we received only 2 are males 0.0

Best straight run odds on both breeds! Almost wish I had 4 or 5 more males of each to have more selection. I ordered str8 run because I thought odds were 50/50.

The 23 silkies look more like 50/50

The 5 barred rock males are super slow to feather they are going to have some nice quality barring

Oh man , all the males end up at my house-I have horrible luck. A few years ago I bought 12 “pullets” from a farm store. 4 ended up roosters. My sister in laws bought from the same bin and got all hens.
Also any time I’ve bought straight run my ratio is about 75% male. I’m really hoping this time it will swing at least closer to 50/50.

Oh man , all the males end up at my house-I have horrible luck. A few years ago I bought 12 “pullets” from a farm store. 4 ended up roosters. My sister in laws bought from the same bin and got all hens.
Also any time I’ve bought straight run my ratio is about 75% male. I’m really hoping this time it will swing at least closer to 50/50.
Good luck! I usually have 50/50 luck but this year has been great!

Birds are 5 weeks old today. I built a couple new grow out brooders, they've been off heat lamps for a week now. They live outside, I only lost 1 the first night I took heat lamps away, it was a barred rock bantam male. So 55/57 still alive from order.

They are 5 weeks old today.
Out of the straight runs from cackle this is my break down:

10-11 out of the 23 silkies are female
10/12 crele oegb are female
15/17 dominiques are female

1 of the silkies had a straight comb, all had 5 toes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom