Cat Owners: What's your favorite Kitty Litter?

I don't have a favorite, I loathe the scent they put in most clumping litters, so am reading this thread with interest
smile.png

I mostly use the Purina clumping litter that comes in a mostly-red plastic bag or cardboard box, I forget the exact name; but I buy Maxx Cat or Arm and Hammer if they are on good sale.

The pine pellets idea is interesting though -- I think I may try that!

The chick feed idea is interesting too but while my cats would probably appreciate having a feeding station for mice so they could sit and hunt, I have a feeling the mice would still get enough of the stuff that we'd have a population explosion that the cats (being unable to get inside walls and floors) could not really control, so I think I will pass on that one
tongue.png

Pat

I use "World's Best Cat Litter." It's a clumping corn product (corn cobs maybe?) and I get the non perfumed kind. It's flushable and septic safe. It is expensive, but a 34lb bag lasts my 3 cats a very long time. However, seeing people talk about using chick starter, I might give that a shot. My cats hated the newspaper and pine litters.

I had one of those cat genies. DO NOT WASTE THE MONEY!!! It was given to me by som elderly folks and I thought they didn't keep their cats. WRONG, they hated the thing like I did. It made a lot of noise and the scoopy thing flings litter all over the place AND the cats are not afraid but fascinated it and would get in there all the time. I was cleaning more than that danged thing helped.

Fresh Step works the best but it is not odor proof.

I have such a finicky cat and my mom has breathing problems when I open the litter that I bit the bullet and ordered a Cat Genie. I LOVE IT!!!! More importantly so does my cat. No smells here except good ones when the sanitizer runs.

THANK YOU so much everyone for all these great ideas!
ya.gif

Now to figure out which one I want to try first...

I missed the thread on stall dry, I'll have to check that one out.
smile.png

I think the worst thing about my cats is, is that they ruin and dirty my flower gardens dirt outside by pooping and peeing in it, and then they come inside and stink up the house with their litter boxes. I wish they would just pick one or the other instead of disgustingness on both fronts.
roll.png

Anyone have any good ideas for getting cats to stop pooping and peeing in the garden??
big_smile.png

Before it got more expensive layer feed.
tongue.png
Even before I had chickens. World's best and all those expensive corn cob litters are not much different than just using chicken feed. Unmedicated of course in case they eat some. It's non toxic, not dusty, biodegradable, cheaper than many other litters with those same characteristics, and the cats generally like it. Downside is it doesn't clump as well as using actual cat litters so more gets wasted but when it was so much cheaper I didn't care. I just kept dumping it in a seperate compost pile from the one I use for the vegetables and now it's also fenced off from the chickens since it contains things I don't want them to have. I have never had mice in my house from chicken feed. Now that I have chicks and quail in the house and sometimes seramas or japanese bantams I generally have 3 or 4 bags of feed in my house and often open. I also have 2 bags of dog food and a bag of cat food. Not human food being left out is another story. Mice will magically appear if human food is left sitting around where they can easily get it.

Back
Top Bottom