Chick dies after hatching

Justagoose_18

Songster
Nov 28, 2018
This morning around 7am, I watched a chick hatch. It’s day 22 today, and I thought everything was ok as it was running around. Another chick was shrink wrapped and I was waiting for the pipped eggs to hatch before helping. The shrink wrapped chick is ok now, but the chick that hatched at 7 am suddenly dropped, legs in the air, mouth open, and died around 10am. Not sure why. I noticed a dark liquid coming from it’s navel, but I’m not sure if that was before or after. Now the incubator has started to smell- a bit like rotten eggs. Is that the babe or another egg that may have gone bad? Should I remove the dead chick? I have three other pipped right now, and humidity is at 71%

Last edited:
I would definitely remove the dead chick and candle the others.

I’ve heard others open their incubator with a hot shower running and closed door in the bathroom to try to contain the humidity.

I would definitely remove the dead chick and candle the others.

I’ve heard others open their incubator with a hot shower running and closed door in the bathroom to try to contain the humidity.
Just removed it. I’m going to wait for an hour to see if the smell will go down, but the chick definitely smelled. Not sure if it was because of another egg or the chick itself. So sad :hit
Should I candle? Despite risking humidity? I’m not near a bathroom, but I did throw a wet paper towel which increased humidity.
The incubator did not smell this morning or this evening. It’s very recent

Just removed it. I’m going to wait for an hour to see if the smell will go down, but the chick definitely smelled. Not sure if it was because of another egg or the chick itself. So sad :hit
Should I candle? Despite risking humidity? I’m not near a bathroom, but I did throw a wet paper towel which increased humidity.
The incubator did not smell this morning or this evening. It’s very recent

it may have been the dead chick. But it doesn’t hurt to candle just in case. I wouldn’t want an egg exploding in your incubator

it may have been the dead chick. But it doesn’t hurt to candle just in case. I wouldn’t want an egg exploding in your incubator
The smell has definitely lessened. There’s one egg that pipped yesterday but has made no progress. There’s two that have pipped but not progressed, not chirping, and not really moving all too much. I hope they aren’t shrink wrapped☹️

After looking at some other threads, I am so nervous! Still smells rotten, my shrink wrapped chick is still in fetal position, and two chicks are pipped and attempting to zip. They are right in front of where I would open the bator. I do not want to risk them but after one hatches, I’m going to move all the live babies outta there. So very nervous about this whole situation

The smell has definitely lessened. There’s one egg that pipped yesterday but has made no progress. There’s two that have pipped but not progressed, not chirping, and not really moving all too much. I hope they aren’t shrink wrapped☹

Sorry to hear that. Can you see their beaks at least? Usually if I can see their beaks I’m a bit more relaxed but if I can’t see a beak then it’s a little worrisome since I lost a chick after seeing a beak and then turning around and getting stuck.

What day are they on again?

Sorry to hear that. Can you see their beaks at least? Usually if I can see their beaks I’m a bit more relaxed but if I can’t see a beak then it’s a little worrisome since I lost a chick after seeing a beak and then turning around and getting stuck.

What day are they on again?
The latter two have hatched! The first with the small pip has not progressed and I cannot see a beak. Today is day 23. I have taken out all of the fluffed chicks, and the smell has considerably lessened. I think it had built up with the air, and I’m suspecting the chick died from Omphalitis. I’m going to remove the last two from the incubator in a few hours, which gives time for that last pipper to progress. That might not happen considering there’s no movement or sound from the egg, but we will see.
I’ll keep this updates. So far I have 30 hatched!

Okay I just saw yesterday was day 22 making today day 23. What breed are these chicks?
They are all a barnyard mix, but the eggs that are left are probably from Leghorns, Brahmas, Cochins, RIRs, or Barred Rock, as well as three Easter Eggers.
I actually noticed on day 18 that several eggs were very behind, but moving. I wrote an “L” on their shells for late, and one of the “L” eggs was the one that hatched today.

Back
Top Bottom