Duckling care confirmation....

Most definitely! Because as it was, I was going to hit you guys up to try and determine what, if any, difference there was between Niacin and B3. According to the internet, they’re the same thing and you know the internet is never wrong ::eyeroll:: So I was going to consult you guys haha :)

And yeah, I’ve noticed that these babies are not delicate like their grownup selves will be. They fall asleep completely at random and it isn’t until they fall over that you realize they went from swallowing their food/water (or whatever other activity) to instant narcolepsy! And since I have a medical condition very much like narcolepsy, and have a billion times times over fallen asleep just like these guys, I feel even more kindred spirit to these guys.

Though, like you mention, the positions they fall into when they’re sleeping makes them look dead and that’s terrifying. I’m glad they don’t sleep in these positions as adults because I don’t think I would be able to withstand 10 years (ish) of heart attacks like this.
Yes. B3 and niacin are the same thing. When they are listed in ingredients, it’s a lot more informative to put the word niacin that just B3. Plus ingredient listing requirements I’m sure dictate the word niacin on labels. Ducklings are just like people in that they absorb nutrients slightly different than the next duckling. Some can be born deficient. So it’s not uncommon for most of the ducklings to be great but have one or two that are deficient. I had 2 ducks out of 10 that had seizures. But all were fed the exact same thing. So some need a boost while others don’t.:D

My weak ones would sit with their necks all squished in and eyes squinted. So there was no mistaking they didn’t feel good. So yours sound just perfect! And if by chance you find you need niacin in the future, just ask. I know we can help you find it at some of those stores you listed.

What did you do about the weak ones? Anything specific to help them get stronger?

Yep! They sure did. Super happy and healthy now.

Most excellent! Being totally lazy and asking what symptoms of a seizure look like? I’d once thought OG (my adult Pekin) was having a seizure because her head did this little vibrate thing but I’ve come to realize that the head shake thing precedes her trying to do a little duck nip at my hand which is always nearby when it happens. So I chalked it up to her just getting frustrated/overwhelmed and is sizing me up to “attack”. Of course it hasn’t hurt me but I take it as my sign to leave her alone for a bit because she’s been over stimulated (these instances have only occurred occasionally but only during times when I’ve had to be pestering her to fix her wound/incision site).

Here’s hoping it isn’t actually a seizure this whole time!

Nope that is totally normal. And it is their behavior when they are irritated. They have done it to me as well as each other. The shaking/vibrating head and neck usually proceeds a poke with their bill. I feel like they are saying “knock it off already”!

Seizures look like they do a sudden cartwheel and land on their head. Then their legs look like they are riding a bicycle in the air. It sounds strange but you will know exactly what I’m talking about once you see one.

Nope that is totally normal. And it is their behavior when they are irritated. They have done it to me as well as each other. The shaking/vibrating head and neck usually proceeds a poke with their bill. I feel like they are saying “knock it off already”!

Seizures look like they do a sudden cartwheel and land on their head. Then their legs look like they are riding a bicycle in the air. It sounds strange but you will know exactly what I’m talking about once you see one.

That’s EXACTLY the behavior she exhibits and then it totally gets followed up with a beaking LOL. I’m relieved that it is indeed what I suspected because I probably would have had huge amounts of guilt if I had been brushing it off and it was a seizure this whole time.

As for the symptoms of seizure: good lord! I’m certain the first time it happened, you were completely taken aback. But I’m also certain you’re right: there’ll be no mistaking that type of behavior. They don’t do that on any other time or day so it’s definitely going to stand out.

Poor babies. Even with the right niacin levels, they still were having the seizures until they got bigger huh? I remember you mentioned it was the weaker ones so I’m assuming they were smaller or seemed a little wimpy compared to their hatch mates?

That’s EXACTLY the behavior she exhibits and then it totally gets followed up with a beaking LOL. I’m relieved that it is indeed what I suspected because I probably would have had huge amounts of guilt if I had been brushing it off and it was a seizure this whole time.

As for the symptoms of seizure: good lord! I’m certain the first time it happened, you were completely taken aback. But I’m also certain you’re right: there’ll be no mistaking that type of behavior. They don’t do that on any other time or day so it’s definitely going to stand out.

Poor babies. Even with the right niacin levels, they still were having the seizures until they got bigger huh? I remember you mentioned it was the weaker ones so I’m assuming they were smaller or seemed a little wimpy compared to their hatch mates?
Actually, I didn’t know about niacin at the time. I was giving them the correct feed but not any vitamins. Once I gave them vitamins in their water, I never had another issue.

Actually, I didn’t know about niacin at the time. I was giving them the correct feed but not any vitamins. Once I gave them vitamins in their water, I never had another issue.

Definitely something to learn, all the time, it seems. In fact I was *just* BYC board searching last night about duckling vomit because I picked them up and despite (what I thought) was special care taken to be easy and gentle and no pressure around the crop, a couple of them still regurgitated their crop on me.

So Heather being Heather, I instantly panicked and took to the boards. Seems that it’s normal when they’re startled. I mean that’s sad, but I was super thankful for normalcy.

And I myself had only learned about Niacin during horrible period of dealing with my poor sick Pekin (she passed). None of her symptoms were related at all to Niacin, and I had been pumping vitamins and electrolytes at the time anyways, but unfortunately I still never figured out what caused her death. It was a 3 week struggle of treating symptoms that went from egg bound, prolapsed vent, botulism, etc.

I suspect the turmoil that poor little dearly departed Lucy put me through is just another reason I’m a nervous wreck about these babies.

This morning I hopped up and checked on them because I was super worried I was going to wake up and they’d be (or at least one of them) dead or something. They weren’t, and they’ve been seemingly perfectly fine but...

Duck trauma is real.

Back
Top Bottom